Tiling...many questions

Onoff

Glad that's done, the poxy little 25mm rips that nobody'll ever see...unless you're lying in the bath...

20181202_180351

20181202_185753

Lost my mojo now so ? to combat the dehydration.

SWMBO unfortunately suffering from Cantgetoffherarse Playingcandycrush Allfuckingday Watchinglongmireitis...

• Like 1

In the absense of anything resembling dinner and powered by a bag of Lidls crisp's:

20181202_201057

I decided to put the other underside trim on set exactly 30mm apart. I'll cut 28mm wide tiles and whack 'em up. Going with the plain grey I've decided.

20181202_200850

20181202_200914

Looking like it's kebab o'clock!

14 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Where youve stuck that strip of tiles vertically above the shelf above where the sink is going.  A pic showed you marking out for the trip before you stuck it down ready for tiling.

Erm...the grey wall tiles come up where the sink is going and you hit the white trim where the narrow full width shelf is that spans across the sink and bath.  To the rear of this shelf is the "3 high" mosaic upstand. There is deliberately no horizontal grout line where the mosaics come down onto the shelf.

If that's what you mean? :)

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

Yep.  All by design so thats chipper.

HWMBO from Swansea said to do it like this albeit with Sika EBT or CT1 rather than the mixture of the two Evo Stick products I've used.

@Nickfromwales, amazingly it's decision time as to how I stick these tiles to the ply!

20170108_160709

18mm deck / 12mm sides marine ply. It'll be tanked with Aquaseal membrane.

But do I go the flexible adhesive or "silicon" route? Seem to recall you swing both ways on the subject!

If flexible tile adhesive then I guess 6mm notched trowel and butter the backs.

If going with "silicon" do I do all 4 sides of the tile (to minimise water ingress under the tile) or "20p blob" it and rely on the grout? 

Then the grout, traditional waterproof, flexible grout or colour matched silicon?

And what's the deal with filling the bath with water to do this?

Cheers 

What it looks like now:

20181203_183103

I first need to finish this end off:

20181203_183121

A bit of light on things:

20181203_183325

Can't decide whether to put a couple of isolation valves in the bath pipes - behind an access panel?

Now, to tile the deck once the above is done I've Gorilla Glue'd a marine ply strip around the cut out in the deck:

20181203_184851

Rough plan is the tile butts up to the ply strip. 

20181203_185028

Should be plenty of overhang. 

20181203_185036

I'll finish the timber work at the end then ply it and tank the lot. Then have another think!

16 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nah, need to leave space for the critters to nest where no one can get to them ;)

No need I don't think. Bath is against two internal walls with 2" - 4" of pir and 2" of eps. You've then got the (albeit lagged) pipes to the towel rad. Oh, and there's 150mm of pir under the slab atop 25mm of eps. 

Edited by Onoff

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No need I don't think. Bath is against two internal walls with 2" - 4" of pir and 2" of eps. You've then got the (albeit lagged) pipes to the towel rad. Oh, and there's 150mm of pir under the slab atop 25mm of eps. 

I'd still be whacking poison under there before sealing the tomb ;) ?