Tiling...many questions

Onoff

E3474EF6-DF68-4362-A155-B10F4C1FCF4A.thumb.jpeg.4cf4946dceddeb6b9bfa023610d2d136.jpeg00076BE3-CECD-48B3-9E33-6104876C0B14.thumb.jpeg.e0306e3fb5ecb8bd32eeb163c50dd19e.jpeg44864CC9-F1F5-4F0F-BF6D-71C528971014.thumb.jpeg.0c6299fe43c2a6dfcadd908cbe9909e2.jpeg11AB9247-9CEE-4463-8755-DBD7033FA9D1.thumb.jpeg.8354ef43e4f15b80b6909860f6db9a50.jpeg

Rear tile went on first. 

Then chrome trims ( cut slowly in the chopsaw between two pieces of sacrificial PAR timber to minimise F.O.D. ). 

Then the left and right tiles. Leave to set. 

Then the base tile. Leave to set. 

Then the head. All tiles colour matched siliconed into place so when I pushed them home the excess silicone squeezed out of the trims / mitres / and gaps between tiles and trims. It gets everywhere but the baby wipes clean up in minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Tile the vertical wall all the way up first and then mitre bond the trims on so you can set the mitres perfectly. Then do the two side tiles, then the base tile, leave to set and do the top with stilts to hold it up off the base tile. 

Hi Nick. Do you mean mitre bond the corners of the tile trim to get them set perfectly and then use adhesive to hold them in place behind the tile?

Edit. Should have read to the end of the thread first. It looks like you basically do away with the grout lines around the tile trims?

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Ta...don't you though do the base tile first so the side ones sit on it and the grout line isn't so prominent?

I was going to do in this order:

Base

Rear tiles

Top tile

Sides

???

And how do you cut the trim, small mitre block and what saw?

Chippy mate lent me this, reckons it's great for plastic trim but I can't get on with it.

20180920_215608

I think you need a bigger tool mate!!

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I have heard they still wear Lionels in Swansea...

? they came back in fashion mate, but only if you wore them halfway down your arse (no problemo for most builders ?) and as long as the knees were ripped out. 

@Nickfromwales I'm 3 tiles high in these pockets. The mosaics at the back then the plain grey, top, bottom & sides. Means I'll have 3mm grout lines which your pockets don't have.

I'd envisaged doing it as per the second sketch (water ingress less likely horizontally than if sitting atop the grout line)Image1.thumb.jpg.2c7046c1ee51f91a34383b1f36466741.jpg

When you said the rears go on first I thought maybe like the first sketch. Now I'm guessing to do away with that grout line altogether and use CT1?

I'll need to be sticking my tiles in with tile adhesive. That's going to squidge out. Trying to figure how to do the CT1 joint without that and the tile adhesive "meeting".

Edited by Onoff

Bought this cheapo diamond grit set for £7.50 inc p&p. Some weird sizes like 28 and 30mm. Don't think I've Starretts to match...27 and 32 the nearest maybe. They're similar but lighter construction to the couple (40 & 65mm) I first use to drill the three holes in the tile that goes over the shower valve.

You get:

6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm,16mm, 18mm, 20mm, 22mm, 25mm, 28mm, 30mm, 35mm, 40mm, 45mm, 50mm

20180921_162210

20180921_162332

20180921_162343

Going to try one now to drill the hose outlet.....hole. @Nickfromwales said back on p46 of the mega thread:

I've never had one with a backnut. Tbh, it's rare to get rear access so you'd never get to fit one anyway. 

The one you've got fits as follows. :

1) you measure the diameter of the fitting, the chrome bit after the brass thread.

2) you get that size tile hole saw and make a hole 2-3mm bigger. 

3) you fit an outside tap backplate into the wall at about 1/4" shy of finished tile face. 

4) you tile and grout after blanking the outlet and pressure testing. 

5) turn the fitting into the outlet until its tight. At this stage it'll likely have bottomed out without the chrome going past the tile face. 

6) measure what you need for the chrome bit to finish 3-4mm into the tile. 

7) cut that much off the brass thread. 

? you put 22-26 turns of ptfe onto the last 25mm of thread ( so 50 turns or so in total to get the thread covered ) 

9) turn the outlet into the backplate until it's pointing down and just shy of proud of the tile face ( slightly recessed )

10) do not go so far that you have to back turn anti clockwise 

11) clear ct1 the tile hole tobthe brass thread by pumping it full.  

12 ) push the cover ring down the outlet until it rests on the tile. It's NOT there as a waterproof seal, and the rubber o-ring is only a friction ring to keep it parked. The ct1 forms the watertight element.   

Clear as mud ?

So the chrome bit that has to go into the tile is a fraction over 30mm dia:

20180921_171525

20180921_171547

Looks then like its the 35mm dia holesaw from the new set!  :)

Edited by Onoff

OK I'll openly admit this is the second attempt at this tile! First one was about 2.5mm too low. 35mm cheapo cutter cuts clean as a whistle. The chrome fitting ends up anyway 10mm off centre laterally just due to the way I've laid the tiles. Oddly that doesn't overly bother me. 

20180921_192656

20180921_192728

2018-09-21_07-48-54

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bet you can almost taste the Diamond White! :)

Ha ha, there used to be an offy 2 shops from the top of the parade and we would send someone in who was old enough to buy it and then sneak up a bit further to the footpath that goes down to Otford and drink it :D

Just now, newhome said:

Ha ha, there used to be an offy 2 shops from the top of the parade and we would send someone in who was old enough to buy it and then sneak up a bit further to the footpath that goes down to Otford and drink it :D

Classy lass! :) 

First beer and smile on my face in a (really sh!t) couple of weeks! I'm clearly designed to drink alcohol. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Classy lass! :) 

Always ;) although I was more of a Pernod girl back in the day :)

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

First beer and smile on my face in a (really sh!t) couple of weeks! I'm clearly designed to drink alcohol. 

Hope things are looking up now. Everyone needs time to chillax. Enjoy. 

11 hours ago, newhome said:

Always ;) although I was more of a Pernod girl back in the day :)

Hope things are looking up now. Everyone needs time to chillax. Enjoy. 

I'd like the money back I spent on Pernod & black back in the day. Drew the line at the brandy & Babycham drinkers though, too deep for this apprentice's pockets!

Nards! 

Should have made the mosaics 5 tiles wide rather than 4. Then the grey tiles the valve is on a little narrower:

20180919_212207

Why?

It would have allowed the mosaics abutting the other wing to be 5 tiles wide too.

2018-09-20_07-49-26

Why does this matter?

By not doing so means the grout line will be offset laterally to the centre of the wc and pocket above by +1" maybe more!

2018-09-16_10-43-03

It's the little things that separate the men from the boys! :)

Edited by Onoff

In the cold light of day I'm happier! The offset is only around 10mm:

2018-09-22_10-51-46

What's interesting (to me anyway) is that my CAD was bang on. Pity I'm so inexperienced at tiling that I couldn't make the CAD a reality.

If I had got the mitre corner bang on instead of 10mm out laterally (aside from other cock ups), then everything would have shifted 10mm left and the grout line would have been bang on central to the wc:

2018-09-22_11-00-31

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

In the cold light of day I'm happier! The offset is only around 10mm:

2018-09-22_10-51-46

What's interesting (to me anyway) is that my CAD was bang on. Pity I'm so inexperienced at tiling that I couldn't make the CAD a reality.

If I had got the mitre corner bang on instead of 10mm out laterally (aside from other cock ups), then everything would have shifted 10mm left and the grout line would have been bang on central to the wc:

2018-09-22_11-00-31

Because you have a big tool you can stand to one side when going to the toilet and the grout line will look in the middle anyway!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

Because you have a big tool you can stand to one side when going to the toilet and the grout line will look in the middle anyway!!

Unfortunately the highly reflective, chrome flush plate will make everything look smaller! :)