Marble Tiles Colour Variation

AliG

Hi,

Tilers started on our en suite today where we have splashed out on marble tiles, something I have never dealt with before.

Builder immediately had them stop as the colours looked odd.

All the boxes of tiles have the same batch number/shade number but there are lots of different shades.

They spoke to the supplier who said that they are supposed to be mixed. I only heard about it tonight.

Before I speak to the supplier, is this normal for marble tiles? They are a natural product so I guess you get variation, but this looks pretty extreme.

IMG_0107_3.JPG

There correct in stating that it’s a natural product and you will get variations 

But these are two different colours

I normally sort through them before starting Some will have much heavier vaining than others 

which is normal But the base colour should be constant 

It is normal, but they should be sorted to spread then out rather than what has been done here. 

That said, these look like different tiles rather than variation in colour. I've attached a pic of ours, you can see some really dark ones in the mix. 

At the least they need to sort and spread them out rather than put light ad dark in a line. 

DSC_3888.JPG

They mixed them up and now they look fine.

I think it was just bad luck that the first few came out looking like stripes and they didn't know that they had to mix them.

I also suspect that it you take a picture straight on the middle tiles look a different colour due to the flash.

Tile Picture.JPG

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RichS said:

I'd be a bit concerned it the "tilers" didn't know that they should mix them. That is standard practice for any tile.

I disagree with that. Natural tiles aren't often encountered and some tilers will be doing it for the first time.

Its the supplier that should be highlighting this TBH. 

58 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I disagree with that. Natural tiles aren't often encountered and some tilers will be doing it for the first time.

I appreciate that,  but mixing from different packs is common practice in a number of trades.

35 minutes ago, RichS said:

I appreciate that,  but mixing from different packs is common practice in a number of trades.

When it's man made you should be fine to keep taking as they come out of the box, it's only when good old nature gets involved that things go south. Large format marble effect is often a nightmare, with the last one I did having just a few boxes bought and the pattern repeated a lot so that kept me on my toes. 

I did my bathroom floors in travertine and I had to switch my OCD off and just lay them. Worst thing someone can say to me is "can you lay the tiles in a random pattern". That's me, head fried. :S 

We have travertine in the bathroom and I recently had to replace a tile so rummaged through the left overs we have in the garage. Was quite amazed at the different colours. Looks like our tile man must have been through them all carefully pulling out any that were too extreme.  

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I did wonder if the tilers should have known, but they seem to be doing a good job.

The supplier came back saying to mix them, I did feel they should have told us this at the outset.

The builders are quite careful when it comes to finishes. A few times they have highlighted ideas that we have had as likely leading to cracks by mixing materials for example and ways around this.

One bathroom has a whirlpool bath which needs ventilation for the pump, rather than put a vent in the tiles I came up with the idea of ventilating it to the eaves at the back of the bath so you cannot see it. The site foreman cut a hole in the wall so he could crawl behind the bath and cut the holes.

This is the beauty of building your own house, I hate seeing odd little vents and stuff.