Hey from Essex... xx

Yzzy

Yes!!! From outside it does look like smoke... it is a crappy crappy job BUT to pay someone to do it is extortionate!! So... we are doing it... the pulling down is actually not too bad (we take lots of fresh air breaks) it's bagging up all the rubble etc after that's horrid!

Where does one get a full face mask? The half masks hurt my face and I end up with red marks around my nose/mouth that make me look like Droopy for 3 hours after!

OK nevermind, just found them on Screwfix..... £100 plus!!! eeeek... will stick to Droopy...

ready for upstairs! 19th.jpg

Edited by Yzzy

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

Please please ensure that you have no asbestos anywhere. 

We are 99% sure there isn't any..... Wouldn't be any in the lath and plaster would there? I've asked Mother and she says no lead paints and no asbestos anywhere...

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, we are in pain ha ha.... such hard work. Would be SO much easier if it wasn't for the mega blanket of bird shit we have to bag up.

I have spent my afternoon up a ladder ripping down stubborn laths and getting a lovely shower of crap over my head for the effort... wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have dreadlocks! 

Anyway, room one on the ceiling destruction is now DONE and bagged up and swept, took us all in all 5 days, not all of them were full days like yesterday we only did a couple of hours. 

Moving on to room 2 tomorrow... urghhhhh

On the plus side the P3 masks from Scewfix (GVS Elipse) are bloody amazing!!!! I can actually breath, don't get as sweaty, it doesn't hurt me at all and well ok so I still end up with a red 'droopy' mark on my face but... For £18 it's fab!

Photos show just before I tidied up stray laths.

25th april.jpg

25thaapril.jpg

25thaoril.jpg

ooohhhhh meant to ask.... All the Lath nails.... I say hammer them flat into the Rafters and the plaster board will go ok over it.

Hubby says we need to get on ladders and pull each individual one out... This makes me sad.

Ha ha, Hubby just sent me this, me on my knees surrounded by poop!

This wasn't too bad really, I just sent my mind of on thoughts elsewhere... but standing in the almost open attic stamping down the ceiling was not so much fun, looking down 10 foot and realising I've been running around that attic since 1979 and not even thinking about what if I tread between the Rafters! I didn't realise I didn't like heights until today! LMAO!!!  I have to do it all again ! 

yzzy 25th.jpg

On 24/04/2018 at 17:03, Yzzy said:

We are 99% sure there isn't any..... Wouldn't be any in the lath and plaster would there? I've asked Mother and she says no lead paints and no asbestos anywhere...

Probably not in lath and plaster walls I imagine. It was used extensively in the 50s, 60s, 70s so depends how old your house is too. I’m no expert however, just had a bad experience with asbestos tis all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Probably not in lath and plaster walls I imagine. It was used extensively in the 50s, 60s, 70s so depends how old your house is too. I’m no expert however, just had a bad experience with asbestos tis all. 

My parents bought the house in '79.... the woman who had it before us hadn't done anything to the house ever... I'm sure my Dad would have sorted it all anyway. But I will get a 2nd opinion on the back workshop roof... x

• Like 1

So I got cold and thought... build a fire with the laths!

OMG they burn fast and furious don't they? Is it the pigeon poop fueling the inferno? Almost managed to burn a whole ceilings worth in about 45 minutes!

Plaster is now off room number 2, today we bag up the plaster and start ripping laths down... and more pooooooo

lath burning.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yzzy said:

So I got cold and thought... build a fire with the laths!

OMG they burn fast and furious don't they? Is it the pigeon poop fueling the inferno? Almost managed to burn a whole ceilings worth in about 45 minutes!

Plaster is now off room number 2, today we bag up the plaster and start ripping laths down... and more pooooooo

lath burning.jpg

Fire... @Onoff like fire... :)

Don't all men?

• Haha 1

When I was about 13 I'd been tending to a bonfire in that exact spot (but I was braver so no metal bin, direct on the floor!) walked into the kitchen, my dad used to run his business from the back workshop and his worker, Peter was working late and making himself a coffee... 

Peter: "Peww, you stink!"

Me: "Yeah, I'm burning stuff outside, it's sooooooo beautiful"

Peter: "You're always burning stuff out there"

Me: "I know, I love fires, they look so magical.... actually ... I think I may be a Nymphomaniac" 

I had NO idea why the guy was almost choking on laughter until Mother walked in wanting to know what the fuss was all about so I told her, she laughed and suggested I go grab a dictionary... :/

• Haha 3

Yup, two old ladies in a Glasgow post office queue in front of me...bad mouthing neighbour Isa.

She's always at the doctor she is...gets everything she does...

She must be a nimphomaniac, says one to the other

Seemingly Isa had lots of co morbid chronic conditions. Hard of hearing too she was...they say she was a looker in her day and never short of male attention.

GP after a full examination and reading his computer screen- well Isa, your test results are back and I think you've got acute angina.

That's lovely doctor, but never mind my fanny, can you tell me what's wrong with me love?

• Haha 5

On 25/04/2018 at 19:33, Yzzy said:

ooohhhhh meant to ask.... All the Lath nails.... I say hammer them flat into the Rafters and the plaster board will go ok over it.

Hubby says we need to get on ladders and pull each individual one out... This makes me sad.

Anyone know?

Also.... is there a vacuum cleaner that we can buy / rent that is strong enough to suck up piles and piles of pigeon shite? It's all very well bringing ceilings down and ggetting it out the attic but I now have RSI on my right thumb joint from shoveling the plaster and crap up ... would be SO much easier to suck it up! 

Pull all the nails out (sorry). Forget ladders though, get a couple of hop ups and a scaffold board so you are at a comfortable height to walk from one end of a joist to the other so you get a good rhythm going. 

I used a leaf blower on suction mode to suck up piles of loose loft insulation, just walk out to the skip open the zip and blow it into the skip. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Pull all the nails out (sorry). Forget ladders though, get a couple of hop ups and a scaffold board so you are at a comfortable height to walk from one end of a joist to the other so you get a good rhythm going. 

I used a leaf blower on suction mode to suck up piles of loose loft insulation, just walk out to the skip open the zip and blow it into the skip. 

You can reverse a leaf blower???? See I asked Hubby this and he said no.. that would be perfect! 

Oh crap.... there are HUNDREDS of nails in the joists!!!! Hundreds! 

On 24/04/2018 at 17:03, Yzzy said:

Maybe she's looking to inherit the house off you when its done :D 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Yzzy said:

Apparently a Henry is good, I'm not convinced myself but will see if anyone local is selling one and give it a go.... hmmmmm

Never EVER speak ill of the Henry. Guys a legend and would suck a golf ball through a hosepipe. The amount of shit that gone in mine is ridiculous, but it refuses to die, and the suction is as it was the day I took him in. 

Buy one asap, used with warranty is good off eBay. Dont buy used without a warranty. 

• Thanks 1