Calculating U-value of garden basement

LadyBuilder

1 hour ago, LadyBuilder said:

Thanks! this is the one I use too, but i am really not sure how to add the data from the link @Onoff gave me...

Just remember Onoff's link is in imperial units. To convert to SI units you need to divide the R values by 5.678

e.g. 0.125 Ft2hr.°F/Btu is 0.022 m2K/W (for 25.4mm) which gives a thermal conductivity of 1.16W/m.K, or about 40x that of conventional insulations.

it is normal practice to ignore the soil in the case of 'green roofs'

2 minutes ago, A_L said:

it is normal practice to ignore the soil in the case of 'green roofs'

I saw that but in green roofs you normally have between 70-150mm soil. My garden basement requirement is a minimum of 1000mm which should actually have some sort of impact

6 minutes ago, A_L said:

Just remember Onoff's link is in imperial units. To convert to SI units you need to divide the R values by 5.678

e.g. 0.125 Ft2hr.°F/Btu is 0.022 m2K/W (for 25.4mm) which gives a thermal conductivity of 1.16W/m.K, or about 40x that of conventional insulations.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You talk of 1000mm of soil?  Are you building a basement, then filling it with soil to have a garden down there? or have I had too much single malt tonight?

ha ha... not quite that. I am excavating the garden, putting a room, then backfilling the soil above the roof of the basement so that I still have the garden... like this

image.thumb.jpeg.e4787505ac05369b4ef449e25a41555b.jpeg

I think the IET (the electrical people) use 2.5K.m.W-1 for soil.  They tend to be conservative, so stick with that.  I think there is a table in the 17th about it.

And just remember that every time your plants get watered you get some extra losses.

And from an experiment I did several years ago (grass growing), the plants add nothing to the thermal properties.

Edited by SteamyTea

The point with the basement, is you use the U values of the walls floor and roof, but to calculate heat loss you don't use outside temperature, you use ground temperature which will be pretty stable all year round, especially at the floor depth.