Non heated areas.

Russell griffiths

So in my mind I think I’ve got this sorted but after some far more educated opinions. 

So due to our planning officer ?

can you tell I like him. We are redesigning and going to end up single story. Ie a bungalow, so 3 bedrooms downstairs, 

so do I put underfloor heating in the 3 bedrooms and look for a low tog carpet 

or no ufh in the bedrooms and put in a different type of heat, rad, electric radiator, 

i am concerned if I don’t put it in I will have a floor slab with large unheated areas which will lead to cold spots dragging heat from the heated areas 

I will also have an ensuite in each bedroom so will have to get the pipe work in there which means crossing the bedroom floors if I want to avoid going under internal walls. 

Cheers russ. 

All our habitable area is on the ground floor, and have put UFH throughout, except for Larder. - And we went with low-tog underlay and carpet in bedrooms.

Also think about how you're going to do your shower floors in the slab. We went with forming the slope in the slab (post main pour) and tiling directly over the slab. 

Edited by IanR
  • Thanks 1

Sorry but going back to planning, our officer wanted bungalow and would not budge, I know it took a long time but I appealed to the Secretary of States office and won hands down, in fact the council was told they were not abiding by their own policies ?. I don’t know your circumstances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

so do I put underfloor heating in the 3 bedrooms and look for a low tog carpet 

or no ufh in the bedrooms and put in a different type of heat, rad, electric radiator, 

If it's wet UFH then definitely install that in the bedrooms as well. I would (I did) put each bedroom on it's own floor loop and programmable stat. That way each can be independently controlled allowing guest rooms to be cooler or even off when unoccupied.  If nothing else when you come to sell it will be easier if you can claim full central heating. 

You can get special low TOG underlay for use with UFH. Hessian backed carpet also has a lower TOG than rubber backed. Watch out for small print that allows a shop to supply either version of the same carpet. 

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Temp said:

If it's wet UFH then definitely install that in the bedrooms as well. I would (I did) put each bedroom on it's own floor loop and programmable stat. That way each can be independently controlled allowing guest rooms to be cooler or even off when unoccupied.  If nothing else when you come to sell it will be easier if you can claim full central heating. 

+1  This is what we have done and works really well.  We have engineered oak in the bedrooms.