Sign in to follow this  
MikeSharp01

To approve or not approve that is this week's question.

just clearing up on site and off to the consultation event in the village hall - will let you all know what they have to say for themselves!

Ok - so an interesting evening with the Cleeve Hill project team. I know a little bit more about the project, a lot more about my neighbours and the pros and cons as they see it. and something of the driving force businesses behind it.

I met with the ecology team and they took me through quite a lot of the work they have been doing and it is clear that the wildlife will, assuming they do what they say they will do, will be fine and perhaps better off than they are now. While I was having this discussion we got a little waylaid by one of my neighbours who said that the one good thing about the scheme, she was in favour of no other aspect, would be that there would be no more nitrate run off from the 890 acres as it would no longer be farmed. Sheep will not graze because the panels will be too low and as they are arranged - see below they will provide too much shade so little will grow other than along the ditch margins of which there is about 2 miles in the scheme.

I spoke with the technical team who had not done an energy compare between the energy from the crops and / or the solar farm. Interestingly another neighbour had written a note on the large map which said surely we should not be giving over the food potential just to get solar energy! The arrangement of the panels is interesting: They will be arranged in rows of ridges running north south with panels facing East and west on either side with a low angle of 8deg. This allows then to get more panels in as they can touch at the ridge and at the gully with almost no gap. This also gives a flatter output curve but without the midday peak! The battery technology is yet to be announced but their reasoning is that they will want to use the latest technology and they assume that by 2019 - when the battery goes in, the technology will be twice as good as it is now. The low angle and east / west orientation allays my fears about glare during the low sun periods.

I then spoke to the developer - the MD of HIVE, on the matter of community involvement. He said he thought that my suggestion of allowing the locals to buy into the panels at their bulk price was a good one and he felt that the panel price would be well under £100 per panel (33p/W). I agreed to follow it up with him. That price roughly aligns with my reading of the trends in panels over the last couple of years.

11 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

by 2019 - when the battery goes in, the technology will be twice as good as it is now.

ROFL

The nitrate comment was a good one.  I shall use that.

Edited by SteamyTea