What do I do with this

So if we ever get planning permission ????

we have this cabin on site, just looking for any opinions good or bad as to what to do with it. 

It has 3 small bedrooms and is aprox 11m by 6m 

i have 3-4 different ideas rattling around in my head, just want to know whether anybody can come up with something outside the box. It comes in two pieces with a big row of bolts down the centre, it was delivered on two trucks, it could be gutted inside to make open plan or knock out one wall to make a two bed. 

Cheers. 

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

Edited by Russell griffiths

I have a few friends out in NZ. A house move for one consisted of first buying a new plot. You then take a chainsaw to the "mid point" / built in cut line of the timber framed house and put it on two low loaders. Off load at the new site and make good the joint.

The fact it comes in 2 pieces that bolt together, and each fits on a flat bed lorry sounds like it has been built to fit the legal description (in planning law) of a "caravan". The fact it does not have wheels is irelevant.

I would offer it for sale. It would make a great temporary home for a self builder who has a plot big enough to fit a "twin unit" mobile home during the build.

To move it, you crane the 2 sections onto 2 flat bed trucks. It might just be possible with a flat bed with a decent hiab to self load.

It would be a job for a haulage company. Forget the caravan movers, they are only set up to deal with things on wheels and don't have the lifting kit.

Off topic, but the fact this building is there, then at the very least you could replace it with a modern portable building built to be withing the legal "caravan" dimension without planning permission (though I would seek a certificate of lawful development if choosing that route)  That could be a handy fall back position if you can't get planning for a proper house.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I have a few friends out in NZ. A house move for one consisted of first buying a new plot. You then take a chainsaw to the "mid point" / built in cut line of the timber framed house and put it on two low loaders. Off load at the new site and make good the joint.

I have passed a sales yard on the Bruce Highway several times that has a field full of second hand houses for sale ready to be moved to a new plot.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I have passed a sales yard on the Bruce Highway several times that has a field full of second hand houses for sale ready to be moved to a new plot.

Another mate had to in the last few years re-dig his long drop w/c. No mains water either just a bfo catch tank on stilts, pump and rudimentary filter. Think I posted pics back on eBuild.

How about making into two "sheds" in different positions on the plot?

You really can't keep "as is"?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Surely the Bruce highway should properly be in Scotland, not Oz ?

Edited by Ferdinand

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Off topic, but the fact this building is there, then at the very least you could replace it with a modern portable building built to be withing the legal "caravan" dimension without planning permission (though I would seek a certificate of lawful development if choosing that route)  That could be a handy fall back position if you can't get planning for a proper house.

This is where we are hoping to build, it is only because of this cabin we have any chance, we have been told if this didn't exist we would not get planning on here, nope,never,bugger off. 

We have a certificate of lawfulness for a permanent residence, so are now applying for a replacement dwelling. 

My first thoughts are sell it, it has a complete bathroom(grotty) complete central heating system, 

my thoughts are though that after you have paid for the transportation and lifting gear, how much more do you actually want to pay for it?

my other thoughts are if I cut it in half and use it on site I will have possible 20m skip full of plasterboard loft insulation and felt roofing so will cost me £400 to get rid of

but taking it apart after I've used it as a store will yield probably £250 of good cladding wood to build a new shed/ outside dunny. 

Bloody decisions all the time. 

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Some of the earliest settlers were Scots. Hard b'stards who hacked their way South literally carving railways out of the rock. The city of Dunedin for example, the name is I believe Gaelic for Edinburgh after the founding father's city. The centre of the city has many similar street names. I worked with many a Hamish, Bruce, Craig, Angus, Blair et al,  reflecting their strong heritage.

46 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

My BIL in Queensland is called Bruce.  The first time we went, he met us as the airport. I had never met him before. My nightmare was going up to the person I thought was him and asking "are you Bruce?" in my English accent.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Some of the earliest settlers were Scots. Hard b'stards who hacked their way South literally carving railways out of the rock. The city of Dunedin for example, the name is I believe Gaelic for Edinburgh after the founding father's city. The centre of the city has many similar street names. I worked with many a Hamish, Bruce, Craig, Angus, Blair et al,  reflecting their strong heritage.

The NZ south island accent has clearly been influenced by its Scottish heritage.