Getting cold feet on how I want to do my stone lintel detail - Any thoughts?

GEO-PAR

I need to order my stone cills and lintels asap but getting cold feet on how I planned to do it.  Interested to know what others think - Whether I'm being a little mad or if it will be okay?  

My intention was to have a natural limestone lintel self supporting. I only wanted it to bear onto the stone walls either side by 50mm (for visual reasons) but now questioning if that's enough.  I'll then stick a Catnik CN71A (or similar) above it with a 10mm gap for deflection (so the steel doesn't crack the stone if it deflects).  This steel will have your typical 150 bearing each side.  I want to keep this above the limestone lintel so when you look up at the window, you don't see any steelwork. 

LintelDetail.JPG.95a1ba67771c95095187b676f835da9e.JPG

Elevation.thumb.JPG.0b143af3e7b1114dc05ce63e2c4b1049.JPG

Edited by GEO-PAR

If you do not use a catnic  with inset limestone  

then a lintel will need to be at least 150mm into wall each side and thick 

you will need to be very specific on size with stone supplier if you want to set a one piece  one in wioth planty of clearance to fit it in as the steek defllects 

does not need to be thick as its just for show 

Is this a new build or extension on exsisting stone building 

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

If you do not use a catnic  with inset limestone  

then a lintel will need to be at least 150mm into wall each side and thick 

you will need to be very specific on size with stone supplier if you want to set a one piece  one in wioth planty of clearance to fit it in as the steek defllects 

does not need to be thick as its just for show 

Is this a new build or extension on exsisting stone building 

I did wonder this.  I've seen it don't before where the edge of stone head aligns with the opening reveal (I.e so no bearing at all). No idea how you'd do this. 

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

19mm would be normal gap for bedding it --so maybe a bit more clearance 

you need to knpw the deflection to work out how big gap for bedding you will need,so it looks right 

Okay cheers

Just now, nod said:
57 minutes ago, GEO-PAR said:

Because then you'll see the underside of the steel when you look up below the Sounds an expensive way to go about it I would push your frames forward to hide the lintels It would cut your exterior reveals down to 50 mil 

44 minutes ago, nod said:

Yeah I appreciate it will make it a whole lot cheaper but it's not a house I'm intending to flip, so want to get it right.  But equally think what I've drawn may cause issues.  I'm wondering how they managed to achieve this - Super deep reveals with no exposed lintels.  My guess is that they cast the stones into some kind of concrete lintel. 

This may contain: a stone building with two windows and plants in the foreground

6 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

With just 50mm end bearing I think the stone lintel will look wrong.  Go with 150mm minimum.

Yeah I think I'm going to boost it up to at least 100 if not 150 like you suggest.  

I found this picture where the bearing looks about 50mm, but it's granite so being a harder stone, I guess this makes it possible 

This may contain: an open window on the side of a stone building

8 minutes ago, GEO-PAR said:

Yeah I think I'm going to boost it up to at least 100 if not 150 like you suggest.  

I found this picture where the bearing looks about 50mm, but it's granite so being a harder stone, I guess this makes it possible 

This may contain: an open window on the side of a stone building

still wrong ,

thelintel will be ok buy could crush those small bits under it