Rj45 terminal grime

Got this outdoor camera on poe . Been fine .

Today died .

The water protection cover seems ok . But on the connector and in the camera connector can see black ( due to moisture ? ) . Best way to clean this off ? . Best way to prevent it ?

IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

Looks like the cheap gold plating has failed.

Wrap the replacement in self amalgamating tape, and honestly a bit of vaseline smeared on the connector pins before engaging keeps water out. (I do this on boat connections)

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure the gel crimps will work . Cat5 is long enough but camera lead is very short . By the time I cut it and expose the cables any junction box is going to be very near to the camera … I.e exposed and difficult to mount . If camera lead was longer probably not an issue …

this is a problem with PoE, damp gets conductive at dc volts...

Remake the plug, give the socket contacts a gentle scrub and try to remove some of the (conductive) black crap in behind them, then goop it up with vaseline or silicone grease as per @ProDave

10 hours ago, Pocster said:

I’m not sure the gel crimps will work . Cat5 is long enough but camera lead is very short . By the time I cut it and expose the cables any junction box is going to be very near to the camera … I.e exposed and difficult to mount . If camera lead was longer probably not an issue …

Note the wires don't need stripping before inserting as the crimps include simple insulation displacement. So you just need enough flex to strip off an inch of the outer jacket 

But my suggestion is also partially tongue in cheek, it's the cheap and quick potentially weatherproof fix (the gel is like vaseline in keeping water out) but clearly a bodge. Almost most of the BT copper wore telephone system runs on them...

• Like 1

I used silicone gel and tape. But only just installed them so time will tell.  Mine are behind the timber cladding so won’t get wet as such. I expect they will still fail due to moisture however. My original plan was to bring the Reolink cable into the house through a duct to avoid this but the cables aren’t long enough. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joth said:

But my suggestion is also partially tongue in cheek, it's the cheap and quick potentially weatherproof fix (the gel is like vaseline in keeping water out) but clearly a bodge. Almost most of the BT copper wore telephone system runs on them...

I did think your suggestion was rather tongue in cheek but tbh it would be easier to maintain if a wire failed at a later date .

None of these rj45 “ waterproof” sleeves seem good enough - always fail relatively soon I.e in under a year . So I’m going to try this gel crimp solution . First though I need to find a box to put the cables and crimps in . Needs to be bomb proof and water proof . A tug on a cable will easily break those frail cat wires .

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

I used silicone gel and tape. But only just installed them so time will tell.  Mine are behind the timber cladding so won’t get wet as such. I expect they will still fail due to moisture however. My original plan was to bring the Reolink cable into the house through a duct to avoid this but the cables aren’t long enough. 

My external cameras that are mounted literally on the house have their connector behind the cladding . Too date ( nearly 3 years ) no issues . Any connector / sleeve exposed to weather though always seems to perish .

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Silicone grease if it's likely to get wet. A spray of ACF-50 if it's indirect, atmospheric corrosion. 

Good shout. I have a tin of ACF-50 on the shelf. I forgot about that. 

33 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

33 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Remember to shake it well! If I recall correctly the aerosols are like 90% liquid and a very small amount of non flammable propellant. If you don't shake it it comes out frothy.

Reassuringly expensive too.