Nice holes

Pocster

Hey all!

Perhaps that's not the best title :$

Right!; I'm' about to plan my UFH layout. My intention was to connect zip tiles to the UFH pipes that can stick up through the screed so I can see the area's that are free from pipework.

I was then considering (when ready!) to do tiling on the floor and THEN drill holes for waste/pipework etc . through the floor.

This a better plan than drilling now and hoping they are in the right place? (they are never in the right place are they!)

Was looking at the cheap water cooled drills on eBay (better than hiring I always think as can sell on); I need to drill mainly floors but some walls through reinforced concrete so need to mount vertically and horizontally.

Good plan?, bad plan? or just a plan! :)

Cheers

Sorry sounds crazy to me. 

Work out where all your drains are going put your pipe work in tape up the ends or cap off. 

Install ufh screed on top. 

Dont try and reinvent the wheel 

it's been done this way for ever. 

The thing to to think about is if a pipe is for the drain of a kitchen sink it is easy to put a couple of 45 bends in to get it exactly where you need it, the same for a vanity, you will need to be a bit more accurate with the toilet waste but again many of the pan couplers will allow a twist around to allow for perfect alignment. 

I think the only waste where you will need to be millimetre perfect would be a sink with no pedestal or vanity to allow any wiggle room. 

Our waste pipes were put in the slab by mbc before the pour. They were plotted on drawings beforehand and not MBC fault my people who gave them the placements misread the bathroom plans (except me and I was not shown them on the mbc plan until afterwards when I saw immediately there was a problem) every single bathroom pipe (bar the bath waste) was in the wrong place,  Some by as much as 10 inches or so MBC kindly did a bit of rectification for us but we have had to do the rest. All our sanitary ware is wall hung and we have had to dig out the slab and redo the pipes.....+£1000 later and a slab with more holes than my crochet shawl......just one small example of items contributing to cost over runs!

and don’t even start me on the holes for the floor sockets! How hard can it be to get them the right size in an approx location in the living area. More excavating to make holes bigger and heart in mouth about ufh in that area, at least that wasnt a worry in the bathrooms.

28 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Our waste pipes were put in the slab by mbc before the pour. They were plotted on drawings beforehand and not MBC fault my people who gave them the placements misread the bathroom plans (except me and I was not shown them on the mbc plan until afterwards when I saw immediately there was a problem) every single bathroom pipe (bar the bath waste) was in the wrong place,  Some by as much as 10 inches or so MBC kindly did a bit of rectification for us but we have had to do the rest. All our sanitary ware is wall hung and we have had to dig out the slab and redo the pipes.....+£1000 later and a slab with more holes than my crochet shawl......just one small example of items contributing to cost over runs!

Could you not recover costs from those who plotted in wrong place. 

20 minutes ago, lizzie said:

When I did the drawings for the duct and pipe placements where they were going to come up through the MBC slab, my ground works bloke thought I was nuts, I'm sure.  I specified a fixed reference (a steel peg we'd put in the corner of the plot, that was easily accessed and had been very accurately surveyed using a Total Station) and then gave offsets from this for the pipe and duct positions.  On the drawing I put a tolerance of +50mm -20mm on the critical vertical pipe locations, and the ground works chap thought I was going completely OTT, and that they would normally stick them within about a foot of where they thought they should go. 

On the last day they were there, when all the pipes and ducts were poking up out of the ground, I insisted that we measured the locations of all of them to check they were in the right place.  One was out by around 30mm, and they were not happy at me getting it moved.............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish...this  is same PM who thought the Malvern Hills of a slab was acceptable and the huge holes in the plasterboard and lining up contractors to start work before we were ready and not telling them resulting in them putting extra charges on their bills.....Its been a complete nightmare and I am still trying to sort the problems

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

When I did the drawings for the duct and pipe placements where they were going to come up through the MBC slab, my ground works bloke thought I was nuts, I'm sure.  I specified a fixed reference (a steel peg we'd put in the corner of the plot, that was easily accessed and had been very accurately surveyed using a Total Station) and then gave offsets from this for the pipe and duct positions.  On the drawing I put a tolerance of +50mm -20mm on the critical vertical pipe locations, and the ground works chap thought I was going completely OTT, and that they would normally stick them within about a foot of where they thought they should go. 

On the last day they were there, when all the pipes and ducts were poking up out of the ground, I insisted that we measured the locations of all of them to check they were in the right place.  One was out by around 30mm, and they were not happy at me getting it moved.............

I wish you had been looking after my slab! J S Harris....pipes in the right place! I paid a ‘professional’ PM  to do the job.

There seems to be an endemic problem with some UK contractors, where they consider that leaving problems for the next trade on site is completely normal.  Every trade seems to have stories of others having caused them a load of hassle, yet nothing much changes.  Another area where we could have had problems was the positioning of all the electrical fittings.  I made sure that all the metal back boxes were fitted so that they protruded around 5mm or so into the plasterboard.  There were two reasons for this, one was that you're not supposed to have a gap between the back box edge and the rear face of the plasterboard (something that's widely ignored) and the second was that it meant that the plasterers could put a board in position, bash it where the back box was and it would leave an indent in the back of the plasterboard, marking where they had to make the cut out.  That way we ended up with fairly neat cutouts, with no need to fill gaps around badly cut out holes.

All it takes is a bit of planning and forethought to get this stuff right.  Another example is the order of doing things.  Waste pipe runs are pretty fixed, and can't easily be relocated.  MVHR semi-rigid duct has slightly more placement flexibility, as does water pipe work.  Electrical cabling generally has the most positioning flexibility, so can generally work around everything else.  Organise and plan things in the right order and there is least hassle for each trade that works on site.  Do things in the wrong order and it just makes everyone's job more difficult.

5 hours ago, pocster said:

Hey all!

Perhaps that's not the best title :$

Right!; I'm' about to plan my UFH layout. My intention was to connect zip tiles to the UFH pipes that can stick up through the screed so I can see the area's that are free from pipework.

I was then considering (when ready!) to do tiling on the floor and THEN drill holes for waste/pipework etc . through the floor.

This a better plan than drilling now and hoping they are in the right place? (they are never in the right place are they!)

Was looking at the cheap water cooled drills on eBay (better than hiring I always think as can sell on); I need to drill mainly floors but some walls through reinforced concrete so need to mount vertically and horizontally.

Good plan?, bad plan? or just a plan! :)

Cheers

I have beam and block flooring in already .

so it didn’t seem a bad idea in the sense I have to drill through that anyway ....

28 minutes ago, pocster said:

I have beam and block flooring in already .

so it didn’t seem a bad idea in the sense I have to drill through that anyway ....

Not quite ;)

If you have B&B flooring then you CANNOT drill blindly down through a finished floor and into a beam as you'll knacker it completely if you hit the rebar. ?

More reaon not to do it later and get them in first. ?

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not quite ;)

If you have B&B flooring then you CANNOT drill blindly down through a finished floor and into a beam as you'll knacker it completely if you hit the rebar. ?

More reaon not to do it later and get them in first. ?

Lol ; I’d make sure I drill through a block and not a beam