Looking for a "long gate bolt"

And as usual I can't find what I want because I do not know the correct name for it.

I want to erect a pair of timber gates.  I am looking for a bolt to join them together when closed.  A normal short bolt is no good because the bolt only travels a short distance so does not "lock" the gates together, they would rattle in the wind.

What I want is a bolt with a long travel and in particular it would slide into a tube or multiple fixings on the other gate so when closes the gates would be held rigidly in line.

the nearest I have found is this https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-door-bolt-galvanised-458mm/8903x

Smith & Locke Door Bolt Galvanised 458mm

That is not what I really want but could form the starting point for some adaptions, if I had the bolt with the two fixings it slides in, and then 2 more identical fixings to go on the other gate it would do what I want.

But before I buy something and butcher it, I feel the thing I want must be available, if only I knew the proper name to search for.

It is a heavy duty cross bolt.

I didn't know that: I did a search for you.

Surely the big Inverness merchant will have them.

You might want a "loop over" as well.

Edited by saveasteading

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Surely the big Inverness merchant will have them.

Can't find anything on HIS or Macgregors website, have not yet visited in person.

8 minutes ago, markc said:

Have a look for drop bolt, loads of variations 

The one I linked to is the best looking "drop bolt" for my need but far from perfect without adaptation.

Warning.  Worlds worst mockup ever:

image.thumb.png.ce0ba8ee311d9e6f80f72c03365d3983.png

that's all I want.  Imagine that bit of chrome tube had a handle on the left hand end.  When engaged there are 2 fixings on each gate and it is solid.  It would just slide out to the left to open one gate or both (one will have a drop bolt into the ground).  And a stop to prevent it coming all the way out.

I could make it myself, even that bit of chrome tube and 4 galvanised conduit clamps in place of the plastic ones.

Surely something like this must exist?

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@ProDave would you not use a drop down bolt for one gate and latch for the other to it 🤷‍♂️

Yes but I am trying to make the connection between the 2 more solid and less likely to rattle in the wind.  These are not exactly solid gates.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The nearest from that site is this https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/09FA608__18"_Galv_Garage_Door_Bolt_

Even that will need adaptation.

It seems I have invented a new sort of gate bolt that nobody makes?