Kitchen Design - Can anyone help?

I've been working on a layout for my new kitchen, and have been having difficulty fitting in everything I want. The below designs are the best I've managed to come up with so far considering the constraints (mainly caused by opening up the space, and losing walls to put units against!).

I'd like to have the hob on an island or a penisular, but I just can't seem to fit it in without creating tight walk through gaps?

My ideals are:

American Fridge Freezer

Island Hob

Vertical Oven

Drinks area/sideboard

Can anyone think of way to fit that all in, or is what I've got already the way to go? (I've highlighted the units I intend to add in blue; it won't be the colour I choose!)

9MichaelCrescentkitchen-A3Draft.thumb.png.525181596da19e74e4c68412086c4683.png9MichaelCrescentkitchen-A3DraftPerspective1.thumb.png.0bedbdccf004c324c0aa1f02c8c8d9b1.png9MichaelCrescentkitchen-A3DraftPerspective2.thumb.png.608023d275d9b7afded40e8d61e58ea3.png

You are NOT going to get an island in a 3.3m wide kitchen.  Simple maths, 3300 - 1200 (worktop each side) leaves 2100mm gao,  Even a thin 1M island would give you only 550mm gap each side.  I don't know what english BR's say but that would not be allowed in Scotland.

I would look at the overall layout a bit more. Although a single door between kitchen and WC is now allowed, I would not want a wc in the corner ofmy kitchen like that.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

would not want a wc in the corner ofmy kitchen like that.

+1, and yes an island will be a complete pain (unless there is only EVER one person in the room . My other half wanted an island in our 4m kitchen but decided against it.

Edited by joe90

Oven right next to fridge isn't ideal due to the heat. Ideally stick the fridge next to the food prep area. Don't have the hob quite so close to the end of the kitchen run - allow 300mm to avoid handles projecting where they may be knocked off. Google the 'kitchen work triangle'.

On a bigger scale, is this really the best place for the kitchen? You effectively have 3 / 4 corridors running through it (lounge to extension, 'door' + external door to lounge and extension, and all of these to the WC) which isn't good. Maybe post the ground floor plan here for some fresh ideas.

Edited by Mike

You've not only got a lot of openings, but a lot of wide openings. Can you sacrifice any openings or narrow them down to gain kitchen space?

Sticky out bits will help increase worktop area and storage:

image.thumb.png.2b92d73bcdc9cbc289d594bab2259154.png

Tricky.  If it were me:

I’d stud out the lounge and extension openings to 600mm depth, and have a contemporary style run of high units to accommodate the oven and an integrated fridge freezer where you have got the sideboard.  Gives you bags of storage.  Make sure the oven is central to the run.

stud out left of the hob not least for safety and have a slightly longer run of base units under the window.  You’re likely to have to go for a recirculating extractor due to the walls.

where you currently have the oven /fridge do reduced depth (360/400 ish base units and wall units combo) perfect location for toaster etc.  depth to run in line with the adjacent wall.  If the room is dark that deep wall left of where you have your oven could be a good place for a mirror to reflect light from the kitchen window.  

in the narrow recess next to the external door using matching cabinetry do a coat hook recess again in line with the adjacent wall depth..  If hooks not needed use recess for art work or whatever.  

This design helps to alleviate the problems you have with such awkward features and wall depths.

you could have a small peninsular as suggested but I think it would work against you in such a narrow space.  This layout gives you a decent flow between oven, sink, hob, etc.

my aunties old house had a kitchen with almost the same layout I’m suggesting. Namely extensions and rooms of it.  She was a massive foody and it worked well as a layout.

it’d also suggest glazed doors in your openings to the extension & lounge.  And put in a boiling tap so you don’t need a kettle.   Keep the sink & hob worktop run clear so it purely food prep etc.

If budget is a factor, this design is a very cost effective and straightforward layout and defiantly DIYable.

It may seem odd to reduce the depth of the openings, but if open plan I feel it’s necessary to help to help divide living and kitchen areas.  In my opinion.

IMG_1678.jpeg

This is my thinking.

Go for hob with oven below.

Move fridge to left hand wall.

Possibly small "island" on castors, normally against the wall?

image.png.ef157c34a69e4bf6018bc6a794dd889e.png

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Yeah, I was being too optimistic about fitting in an island, thanks for confirming! In regard to the downstairs loo, it used to be in the teeny space on the bottom right of the kitchen plan, hidden under the stairs, and not up to the standard of any building regs. I'd still like to have one, which is why I've moved it on the plan to it's current location, but you're right it might be a bit smelly without the right ventilation. I can't really see anywhere else to fit one? Here's the floorplan (front door bottom right on to hallway with stairs, lounge bottom left):

9MichaelCrescentkitchen-A3FloorPlan.thumb.png.1bcde92ba1b66b0f9d76166d76fb827d.png

I'm liking the idea @Bozza to extend out studs and gain extra worktop/storage space that way, with oven/fridge at the end (also gives some handy spots to hide pipes and wires). Great idea to put narrow units next to the chimney breast. @Sparrowhawk I think you've come up with the only way I could conceivably fit a penisular, but I think having to walk out round it to get to the dining table in the extension might irk me too much. @Temp rotatable island seems like an interesting idea, I might end up going for a breakfast bar mid-height table in that location which I can move about as and when.

Based only on the floor plan,if an extension is out of the question, then I'd suggest something like this (with or without WC - shown here in an alternative position, though I'd leave it under the stairs):

Kitchen1.png.542ac6cb10cedd77fb23fc1e91c29680.png

And if you didn't want to go Mike's way then I'd look at blocking the 1620mm opening between lounge and kitchen. I know you want openish plan and free flowing, but 5 openings is going to make a comprehensive kitchen difficult.

We nearly bought a house with a similar layout and the L-shaped bit bottom left in the kitchen made it workable.

image.png.0b8f885af4d4d6e02a48b287bc8dfa9f.png