Belle Mini Mix petrol or electric?

flanagaj

So I need to purchase a mixer, and was going to get a Belle Mini Mix 150.  Site doesn't have power, and I need to put in a retaining wall before work commences.  I have a portable 3kw generator that will power an electric mixer, but I was thinking that using a generator to drive an electric motor is probably not as efficient as having a petrol mixer?

I could be worrying over nothing and the difference in efficiency is so negligible that is does not warrant a moments thought.

57 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Trouble with all things electrical on a building site

Is taking 5 minutes each time to find which connection has popped out...or fused.

And tripping over the cable.....they move when you aren't looking.

No question though.We have power. I will get an electric.  Cheaper, quieter, doesn't run dry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

you can get one for £530

What is the advantage of the Belle at £530 over a screwfix unbranded one of the same capacity for £290?

I am looking for second hand but they seem to be silly prices. typically 2/3 of the new price and 'well used'.

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

What is the advantage of the Belle at £530 over a screwfix unbranded one of the same capacity for £290?

I am looking for second hand but they seem to be silly prices. typically 2/3 of the new price and 'well used'.

Agreed.  I saw a beat up 2007 petrol one, and they wanted £370 quid.  My theory, is that when it comes to tools I always use a buy cheap, buy twice theory. 

1 minute ago, flanagaj said:

buy cheap, buy twice theory

Agreed. But if you bought a screwfix one and used it hard but reasonably, and it failed in 6 months, you would take it back.

Maybe it doesn't mix as well, so uses more time, and that would not suit a professional bricky.

But for me mixing a barrowload or two it might be fine. 

Or it doesn't tilt well? or is horrible to clean?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Agreed. But if you bought a screwfix one and used it hard but reasonably, and it failed in 6 months, you would take it back.

Maybe it doesn't mix as well, so uses more time, and that would not suit a professional bricky.

But for me mixing a barrowload or two it might be fine. 

Or it doesn't tilt well? or is horrible to clean?

I've got a screwfix one in the garden right now. Obviously, I'm not a pro, but it's... working. I've put 24x100L(ish) loads through it so far. Mixes fine, no real issues keeping it clean or getting the muck out of it.

It has managed to topple over backwards a couple of times, but I reckon that was user error. Working on my own, I'd tip it forwards, then go round the front to fiddle with the muck inside the barrow. It would then un-tip itself and the momentum would take it over. So, uh, don't do that, I guess ^^. No idea if it happens with more expensive mixers too.

As for petrol vs electric: I am currently raging at a two-stroke brushcutter that refuses to start. So done with combustion engines.

Edited by Nick Thomas
  • Like 2

Where would they save money? thinner steel that will dent and distort. A weaker, slower motor?  less stable stand (see @Nick Thomas)?

19 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

screwfix one is smaller. its a diy version

there are lots of sizes. and the comparisons above are for the 110 to 130 litre range.

The cheaper ones don't go any bigger though, probably for the above reasons....more steel needed.

Do the branded ones reverse? for shifting stuck lumps, rinsing  or for controlled discharge?

The screwfix one has slightly larger "official" capacity than the belle minimix 150 (100L mix vs 90L mix; 134L drum vs 130L drum). It's definitely full-full at that point though. No idea how it'd look if you had them running side by side.

• Like 1

I'm sure that as a bricklayer, the branded one would be the wise choice. 

all day every day for a few years perhaps? thousands of hours and getting bashed with a shovel.

For self build, not necessarily.

• Like 1

Hah, just had another look at the screwfix one. The website says 100L mix capacity, but the sticker on the machine says 90L, i.e. same as the belle.

Now i'm done with it, I could probably return it for a refund on the basis of false advertising :3.

19 hours ago, Nick Thomas said:

Hah, just had another look at the screwfix one. The website says 100L mix capacity, but the sticker on the machine says 90L, i.e. same as the belle.

Now i'm done with it, I could probably return it for a refund on the basis of false advertising :3.

i did mention its smaller!