GSE in roof gutter detail

Hi all

I’m about to fit the PV panels to the roof and have been studying the detail where the GSE system meets the gutter (there won’t be any tiles below the solar array). 

The GSE drawings show the flashing at the bottom running straight into the gutter, however my roof and most roofs have the fascia set higher than the rafter tails to kick the bottom tile up. This will inevitably leave a ‘trough’ at the bottom - although perhaps this is how it always is with just the membrane? Doesn’t seem right to me. 

Do I fit a sloped batten to kick up the drip flashing (so it’s properly supported over its full length) - seems a ball ache. Or do I adjust the height of the fascia - though this could be problematic as there are tiles either side of the array. 

Anyone fitted all the way to the gutter before? Thanks 

IMG_5221.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

Do I fit a sloped batten to kick up the drip flashing (so it’s properly supported over its full length) - seems a ball ache. Or do I adjust the height of the fascia - though this could be problematic as there are tiles either side of the array. 

Wouldn't you do this. To get the levels where you want them? Doing mine again I would miss out the GSE flashing and do lead instead 

Screenshot_2024-08-18-19-30-41-84_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.thumb.jpg.92edbe6318c93d9cb54b67207b99564f.jpg

28 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

Osb over rafter

memvrane

counter batten

and at the fascia..

fascia kicked up 70mm above rafter legs

eaves tray

mebrane

25mm ventilation 

eaves tray 

Gse tray

solar

https://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-support-tray-5-pack/36622?tc=OA5&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD8IdPzgEcfCF_SZZDp8-alGqZ-b8&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt4a2BhD6ARIsALgH7DpeOwsWCIBweiO47Ge4dCTasY_lGPJ6KSErzIq2sQxveSer3WhYQtUaAqBnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

Like this? I’ve already got the drip flashing (ubiflex), so I could use this in conjunction with the eaves support tray. 

the trays finish at the bottom of the panel, there is no spare tray to lap into a gutter. Sounds like the bottom of your panels will actually be in the gutter ?

You have to flash 150mm up and under the GSE tray to make it waterproof.

15 hours ago, LiamJones said:

I’ve just done this 

I used two eaves trays. Yeah they’re not 380mm like to instructions, but enough I was comfortable with.

I will do a full write up at some point 

IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

Nice tiles. What are they?

Thanks

We didn't go down to the gutter, but instead straight to a flat roof. I got a 300mm angled aluminium trim made up that went under the bottom tray and down on to the flat roof.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2024 at 10:26, Alan Robson said:

I have the exact same question and found this thread. I've got the eaves felt support trays fitted and roof membrane, just wondered if you sorted yours and if you have any finished pics?

It’s finished awaiting the roofers coming back to tile it in. 

It was a ball ache to be honest. The angle of the roof changing at the eaves meant nothing really sat quite as I wanted and it involved a lot of improvisation. 

I’m not sure how others have found it. I notice the poster earlier in this has some sort of slate? roof, so perhaps the kick at the bottom isn’t quite as pronounced as mine with concrete interlocking tiles. I don’t think I’d go to the gutter if I did it again if I could help it.