Calling all MBC clients - fire control plan

Barny

Hi All

Can I check what you did for a fire control plan (and construction phase plan), which MBC require?

My builder has never heard of a fire control plan let along drafted one. I was going to use the draft MBC gave me but wondered if every thing in their was a requirement ie unlock mobile phone on site, fire drills every six months etc?

I would appreciate hearing what others have done.

thanks

Much of my business is fireproofing I’m always surprised at how little is done on private houses compared to commercial or even housing associations TF Fire would always be a worry for me if I ever went down the TF route 

This is MBC covering their backs and trying making you responsible for the H&S / principle design and fire risk

BUT - you are not a principle contractor or skilled person as a self builder so this will always sit in a grey area.

BTW - zero interaction with anyone from the council / H&S through the whole build 

We did the basics (a few fire extinguishers / a couple of signs) for H&S but did take out an all risks insurance  policy 

We had to install lots of extra smoke alarms to satisfy building regs but managed to avoid installing a sprinkler system

bob 

I just did all the practical things such as not allowing waste to build up on-site especially sawdust and paper. No battery charging done in the house overnight. Fire extinguishers/blankets in obvious places mounted to the walls. No welding on-site without taking due precautions. No metal cutting in the house. Nothing left switched on. No running extensions plugged into extensions. No running heaters off long extensions. Extension reels to be fully unwound. 

• Like 1

It is common sense. Each contractor should know how to do whatever they do. It is common to disallow flame on any work near to going home time.

What would you do if a fire broke out? So have a few extinguishers.

On 19/07/2024 at 07:51, nod said:

Fire would always be a worry for me if I ever went down the TF route 

It shouldn't be. Timber needs to be exposed to severe heat, and have lots of air or it won't  burn. Charring provides insulation.

To put your mind at rest, think of the opposite case, that you have been challenged, oddly, to burn down a timber frame. It would start to look like a very poorly built bonfire that would never catch. 

As soon as plasterboard starts to go on, it isn't going to burn.

On 18/07/2024 at 21:57, Barny said:

Can I check what you did for a fire control plan (and construction phase plan)

Go on to Google play and download CDM Wizard and do all your construction phase risk assessments. Print them out, keep on site and issue to contractors.