1920s cottage renovation and extension - South Wilts

Hi All

long time lurker, first time poster.

We are renovating and extending our cottage in South Wilts. We’re about 6 months into the build having got planning in Jan, took us a while to get there due to bats, false start with first architect, and a slow planning process generally.

The cottage consisted of an original 2-up-2-down and a couple of poorly constructed extensions (a ground floor lean-to which was then somehow converted to be two storey, maybe in the 70s). We’ve demolished the extensions and rebuilt GF to the same footprint, and FF will be a cantilevered, triple-gabled and vaulted ceiling “box” which we’ll have as a kitchen-living area (an upstairs down house to take advantage of the views we have here).

Hoping to be weather-tight by the winter, and then complete by Christmas 2025. I am project managing sub-contractors and have a good friend who is a very skilled labourer/builder looking to gain more experience who is doing lots of the work and providing continuity throughout.

We have converted a room above our double garage to live in whilst the work is ongoing, so here on site most of the time and we largely work from home.

Thanks for hosting such an invaluable resource here - I look forward to contributing and please forgive the odd awkward question 

IMG_0471.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Did you look into demolition and rebuild?  You would get the VAT back and have fewer compromises.

What lovely looking surroundings!

Yes, spent a while going around that one. The site is difficult - “Cliff” cottage refers to the 100 year old chalk quarry we’re on the edge of, and we didn’t want to excavate too close to the edge.

Besides, I liked the challenge of adapting something and keeping some history more than a blank piece of paper which in all honesty I struggled with!

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

I am interested in the cantilevered second floor.  Is that what the external piers are for on the brickwork?

Yes, see the drawing attached here. There are a few posts too for a wrap-around terrace.

Plans here in case you want to take a closer look: https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/planning-application/a0i3z00001BtDD1AAN

IMG_0497.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anonymoose said:

100 year old chalk quarry we’re on the edge of

That must be dead handy and save a fortune on muckaway lorries!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

That must be dead handy and save a fortune on muckaway lorries!

Sadly we don’t own the quarry and so muckaway have done well out of us. Lots of chalk removed (which according to some companies is the worst thing in the world).

Chalk is my second favourite ground to build on. It is hard and needs small foundations. Digs easily with a toothed bucket so no overdig or collapses. Porous for drainage. 

BUT. turns to putty in a wet winter. Drainage needs to be thought out to avoid swallow holes.