Leak protection system for hot water tank

Hi,

I'm having my heating system overhauled and as part of that a new pressurised hot water tank is being installed in the loft. It's going to be a lot of water above the house, so I am worried about what would happen if there were a leak. I asked the installers what they can provide in the way of leak protection and they have said that there isn't really anything on the market, people don't generally do it.

In my mind I have this picture of a the tank, and all joins in the pipework sitting above a set of trays, each draining to an overflow that goes out the exterior wall. Does this sort of system not exist? Is it not feasible? Is it just not worth it?

We installed a Grohe Sense Guard - all water goes through it.  So if there is a leak it shuts off.  I works on a volume or a pressure test.   Suppose I’ll never really know if it was worth it until I have a burst pipe.   

Shelly do a leak detector and so plenty of other smart devise manufacturers.

To be of any use, it needs to turn off the supply of water. Depending on the leak, you may have to stop a mains pressured cylinder from emptying it's contents, how you do that? If you 60 miles away and a phone alert, what are you going to do?

I guess some sort of bunding tray, with a leak detector to shut off the mains would offer some protection.

Not the off-the-shelf system I was hoping for though. Probably not going to bother.

Thanks for your answers though.

16 minutes ago, waxingsatirical said:

guess some sort of bunding tray, with a leak detector to shut off the mains would offer some protection

If you went that route it would need to big enough to take the cylinder.

I would, floor the area under the cylinder and pipes in waterproof chipboard, then small spills and drips can be mopped up easily without damaging other places you can't get at.

When / if I replace our loft HW tank in millstone manor I intend to stand it in the bottom section of a plastic barrel, I have one for the purpose standing by, then duct this via an overflow pipe out of the roof and latch shut off the mains via a sensor in the barrel, there is already a valve that does this when we set the house alarm so we don't need to worry about turning it off if we go out, I can tap into the alarm system to control it.  

Having had loft tanks leak and destroy ceilings . I always wondered why they can’t sit in a tray with a simple pipe to outside - like older toilet systems use to have the overflow from the cistern go outside .