1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

I never bothered asking, wasn't really aware I had to. But started paying council tax that day. No one seemed to care, so didn't ask questions.

On the not being aware you had to point. My building warrant makes it clear that it’s an offence to occupy or use (although what does use actually mean) the building unless the appropriate approval certificate has been granted except where it’s a renovation. I assume every council warrant will say the same thing. 

On 01/07/2024 at 11:05, Kelvin said:

The builder told me that they’d been in the house a year before putting holes in the building so already had a condensation problem and early signs of mould. Pretty awful situation. If that wasn’t bad enough they had employed a QS at great expense and still ran out of money. It was his suggestion to put holes in the building. 

Meaning the QS was a cock.

A fully room-sealed stove is undoubtedly the way to go, but also worth knowing that some MVHR units - those from Zehnder, at least - include an optional 'chimney' mode that can reduce the risk of air being pulled back from a chimney. Presumably it maintains a positive pressure in the house.

On 27/06/2024 at 21:10, Iceverge said:

Can anyone point to me a controlled study where there is any actual data on this? Any real world examples of carbon monoxide poisoning where MVHR was a contributing factor. 

Do we have to go as far as poisoning people…?

Edited by Jilly
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Meaning the QS was a cock.

Oh he definitely has was. I had two conversations with him about our build because Heb Homes are keen for people to use a QS. He managed to piss me off on both calls. He wanted £2500 to produce an order of costs. I was doing the groundswork so I had all the costs for that. It’s a timber kit with kit erection included plus the windows and all insulation. I had quotes for everything else except any extra timber and boarding materials so I had 90% of the costs in hand. With a straight face he said send me your spreadsheet and I’ll put it into my format and send it back to you for £2500 😂 I worked out that if we took his full service it was going to cost £12,000. Ridiculous. 

On 03/07/2024 at 08:56, Kelvin said:

Oh he definitely has was. I had two conversations with him about our build because Heb Homes are keen for people to use a QS. He managed to piss me off on both calls. He wanted £2500 to produce an order of costs. I was doing the groundswork so I had all the costs for that. It’s a timber kit with kit erection included plus the windows and all insulation. I had quotes for everything else except any extra timber and boarding materials so I had 90% of the costs in hand. With a straight face he said send me your spreadsheet and I’ll put it into my format and send it back to you for £2500 😂 I worked out that if we took his full service it was going to cost £12,000. Ridiculous. 

I’d have done it for £20 less. 👍

“£20 is £20” 🤣

• Haha 1