Where is best to by an electric mains kiosk?

saveasteading

Having a precise specification from UK Power for a new 3 phase supply, I was surprised to see so many different sizes being available, and it is not easy or quick to compare sources.

Many are slightly smaller which seems very odd.

w600 xH1100 X d300  is the requirement and here is one such.

It seems expensive for what it is, and such a standard unit.

Any suggestions please?

605x1150x320 GRP Kiosk cabinet 3 phase meter box

Free Standing GRP Electric Meter Box Green – W600 x H1100 x D300mm, GRP Cabinet , GRP Kiosk

£691.20 Incl. VAT

I built a brick one for ours. My electrician wanted enough space for a board inside the box as well and it was getting large and ugly. It wasn't the easy option as there's quite a lot of spec that should be followed but it was still cheaper than buying a box

• Like 1

It’s the Emiter one I have. The compression seal on the door is crap and it fell off quickly after installing it. It didn’t leak with this missing but I’ve since replaced it. I also sealed it both inside and out around the base as water was getting in. 

Even for single phase I’d recommend the taller one especially if you are  going to use it as a temporary supply so will have a CU and some sockets in it. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

Mine was £282.  I think it would be big enough for a 3 phase head.

Mine is single phase and has a small CU and fuse switch.

Sparky is going to fit a Ryefield board so we can feed 2 properties, so we will need another meter.  That will be a squeeze, but space on site is limited.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

these people:

GRP ELECTRIC METER BOX W605 X H1150 X D320 MM , NEW ELECTRICITY CONNECTION

£618 incl VAT

so that is the right direction thanks.

5 hours ago, Kelvin said:

it fell off quickly after installing it

Ahhh. I will bear that in mind. Also re the size. 

For interest , why do they make 72 variations?

I was starting to think the box might be too small. We are going to have a 60m cable onward from there to the house. The location is to stay within 25m of the pole, and keep it as 'minor' works. The box and connection is going in earlier than we wanted, but to please the neighbour/ vendor.

3 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

are you allowed to put a CU and say a router inside too?

Good question. I will accept any and all advice on this subject please.

I don't have an electrician yet , hence needing early advice.   such as.... are these radius ducts standard things?  do they have to point one to the rear and one to the side as shown?

Chuckle.   I was thinking of going all diy and amateur and buying 3 bags of ready-mix to make the base.  I saw  reviews of it, and at first thought they were wind-ups...

*when you buy a bag of "Concrete" you don't expect half of it to be chippings! no mention of this in description just a waste of money

*Absolutely crap and useless stuff!!!! Most of it are stones! The rest is runny water based- cement colour water!!!! Avoid! Waste of money I wish I would just buy bag of cement and sand. This amount of stones is only half bag of 20kg total bag!!!! And grey water.
Disgusting.

I have a feeling they both added too much water.

• Haha 1

You can point the ducting any direction you like obviously. I used 3 x 38mm diameter hockey sticks. One in one out and one spare just in case. However that was a mistake as it made getting the thick unwieldy  cables in chuffing hard. I should have used corrugated smooth wall stuff so don’t do what I did. I also just used 3 bags of readymix concrete. It’s perfectly fine and made a really nice base. They never followed the instructions as you say. IMG_6450.jpeg.e27bddf327e09bc3f92d5edf8a1e3a79.jpeg

I've just had a plastic box for a temporary supply. Its horrible, wobbly, difficult to shut and open. It was bought by the electrician from an electrics merchant. and was cheap. It will have to do.

I'm hoping that any grp ones for the mains will be subject to some minimum standards.

I spent ages pondering this simply because if it falls apart down the line it’s not that straightforward to replace! The GRP cabinet will see me out unless it got mullered somehow which is why I built it right on the edge of the boundary out of the way. There was a better place for it nearer the house but was convinced it would get driven over.