Knocking up a site toilet in stud. I'm struggling as 2 hands isn't enough

There are 2 redundant toilets  in a steel shed, from a previous use. They drain to a septic tank but are in need of replacement.

the enclosure was previously removed for reasons of yuckiness.

I'm making up 2 new wc's to be used during the construction process rather than hiring a chemical one. 

M and F.   Then on completion, one will become a workshop/garage  wc and the other have garden access.

The roof is 3m plus away so these won't reach it, and won't have ceilings ( ventilation).

I have successfully fixed the sole plate to the concrete floor.  Then I started putting  up studs but gravity is winning. 

I could make up panels on the floor but they would be too heavy.

There must be a technique for a solo person doing this. I  using 80 x 40 stud, and 11mm osb ( which is rather fragile and screws want to go right through.

I have a nail gun, but little experience with one. So I have been putting up a stick at a time with a sturdy angled screw, then hoping to get in  noggin before it falls over. The nail gun then helps to stiffen the joint.

overnight I've put up a couple of braces.   I am working to this detailed drawing.

image.thumb.jpeg.596afb5d57a46a44c3ee77c819c0e0c9.jpeg

20240617_164141.jpg

Edited by saveasteading
Photo added

It’s usually easier to make a panel flat on the floor then lift  it up into position, angled temp brace, fix to concrete, next panel…nail panels together…

Edited by joe90
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

angled temp brace

There are 2 of them in this film and one holds it up while the other does fixings.

These concrete screws look useful.   And the soft concrete helps  too...no flints in that. And its not windy.

Maybe I'm  doing ok considering.  The joiners / carpenters (acc to location,) are chuckling and saying nothing, i feel.

• Like 1

This reminds me of when I lived in France for a bit, the house had the only toilet in the corner of the large garage / shed open to all when the doors were open to the street

The other family 'house' had one like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in a shed at the end of the garden.  This one was just a hole in the ground.

9 minutes ago, LSB said:

just a hole in the ground

Family tell me they used a dry composting toilet  (sawdust) at a campsite at the weekend.

We've got some sort of septic tank that has functioned for many years. It's too close to the building and probably just a tank with an 'accidental'  hole in it. But it has historic rights and buiding reg's don't apply to the shed.

The main property will get a new treatment tank.

No tips on joinery. Of course if gets easier after the corner goes in.

By strange coincidence another discussion yesterday mentioned dooks. I did this to fix the LH stud to the concrete frame, there are empty bolt holes and i filled them with a stick, and screwed in.

Make the stud wall on the floor without fixing the osb. Then lift in place. All you need to start are some braces to keep the wall upright. Then once upright can you brace for square, straight and plumb. My advice is build the whole stud wall structure without the osb, that way it's easy to attach temp bracing and only once all sections are in place can you take the brace off.

Start like this:

simplestudwall.thumb.jpg.faa3c8a1194c1c76fdf969c354f2555e.jpg

To this:

studwallfulllength.thumb.jpg.16554f2d5dfbb5e9436d760bd4e3b1f2.jpg

To this:

wallandroof.thumb.jpg.c42aff8ea358cfd836e0a85eaca641b3.jpg

To this:

frame.thumb.jpg.8a1ccc5397922a26d3003f40da13811f.jpg

Then osb.

All one man job (with 16 year old nephew to help get the glulams from the driveway... 😉

Then use nails for the stud walls.

• Like 3