Need to remove porcelain tiles

ragg987

We seem to have sprung a water leak which I suspect is the soil pipe in a bathroom. The SP is fully boxed in and sits adjacent to an internal stud partition. One side is boarded with fermacell and tiled, the other side is fermacell + plaster.

I think the best option will be to try and remove a single tile to get into the space, the other option is on the plaster side but this becomes a bigger repair (I think - happy to take any input here).

So, assuming I am right about removing the tile being the best option, how can i remove a single tile that is firmly grouted and fixed to the fermacell without destroying adjacent tiles? I accept the one tile will need replacement and have a spare. I estimate approx 2-3 mm gap for grout between tiles. The porcelain tiles are really hard and I had a hard time drilling holes into them.

I assume once the tile is off I can cut out an aperture in the fermacell, leaving a 1" border on all sides, to get to the problem. My thinking was to attach the replacement tile to the fermacell "border" around the hole I cut.

Any thoughts?

+1 the multitool anything more brutal is likely to damage things. Just get in behind it with the tool then lever it out. Alternatively just cut the square hole in the tile with a diamond blade on and angle grinder and lever/ break the edge out. Thus will also cut the access hole. How will you fix the leak through such a small access hole? 

Edited by MikeSharp01
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RichS said:

Hammer, just smash the tile and take it out bit by bit.

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out ? ?

That will break the fermacell and cause a lot of unnecessary damage, so no. 

Why not get hold of an inspection camera and have a look see first ? Nowt worse than doing all that and there's a different fault. 

Will removing one tile allow you to repair the suspect item? I doubt it. Have a look first if possible and go from there. Have you double checked water isn't getting in there from a dodgy WC cistern or feed and tracking down a pipe  ? Soil is quite hard to fit badly TBH. 

• Thanks 1

All good points, thanks for the input. I do not know what the leak is from, just that the penetration of damp is centred where the soil pipe is.

We have a floor level shower tray one side. I unscrewed the drain and it is bone dry below, so I have ruled that out.

On the other side is a geberit cistern and WC, plus a wall hung sink and wall mounted hansgrohe taps on an ibox. All this is boxed and tiled, so not sure how to inspect these.

On the other side of the partition wall is a kitchen sink and dishwasher. These look fine put cannot say if water pipes or drains are ok as they are boxed up.

I like the idea of an inspection camera, will try and rent one, I could drill some holes on the plasterboard side and take a peek, easily filled and painted.

Tile is relatively large format, something like 300x600mm so the opening should be sufficient?

Update - the Depstech camera arrived today and I drilled a few holes to try and figure out the source of the leak.

The good news is that the camera is pretty good. Strong dimmable light, cable is semi-rigid cable that helps guide the camera and it plugged direct into the micro-USB of my Android phone to display and record the view. Image quality is pretty good, though focus is fixed to a few inches. Great tool to have, IMO.

The bad news - I had asked my builder to stuff the cavity and SP box with insulation so all I can see is sodden insulation. I spied a bare and insulated copper pipe and drain pipe behind the sink but these seem dry.

Back to removal of tiles and / or drywall. The drywall I drilled through is damp through and rotten and will need replacement in any case.

Yep sounds like a plan. One for the weekend. Along with preparing for a small courts claim brought to me courtesy of one my trades who over-charged and under-delivered then had the nerve to tell me I did not qualify for the prompt payment discount despite every payment on time - shark!

Just to quantify my earlier post.

When I said "hammer", I didn't mean a lump hammer.

I have removed many single tiles by tapping lightly with a pin hammer in the centre until the tile breaks, and then removing it piece by piece.

Works ok for me :)