Finishing basement (screed + UFH) - advice needed.

Hi all, we moved into our self build with the basement still not complete and would like to finish it off. As cash is tight, I'm planning to do the work myself, so ideally would be looking at a solution that is possible for the experienced DIYer.

The floors are currently rough screed over UFH and I need to decide how to complete the floor, ideally, before taking the project further. The rooms are:

1. A fitness studio. Ideally this would be a spring wood floor but I don't think this would work well with the UFH. My initial thought would be to pour an initial self leveling latex screed and then finish with either laminate or karndean, if funds and experience allow. 

2. A den/cinema room. This is also rough screened with the added complexity that there are two large manholes in the room for the basement sump pumps. So I would have to create an access hatch for these,i guess. Again, I think that a laminate initially would privacy be easiest and cheapest here, but open to suggestions. 

You might see from the photos that the screed doesn't come up to the wall in many places but to insulation boards, and I'm not sure quite how to deal with these. Should the insulation be cut back level with the existing screed, or should I foam any gaps and bring the screed up to the level of the foam?

One particular corner has an elevated concrete block, which is a bit of a pain Ideally I'd have a completely level floor for whatever surface goes on to of it. 

I'd love to hear any suggestions or experiences with something similar. I'm lacking in experience and confidence and don't really want to make an expensive blunder. 

Many thanks!!

20240525_151602.jpg

20240525_151530.jpg

20240525_151510.jpg

• Like 1

Laminate on 5mm wood fibre underlay would be your best best. Toughness of laminate and the wood fibre is very forgiving on an uneven floor and adds a bit of softness. We have it thought out our ground floor and it's great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Laminate on 5mm wood fibre underlay would be your best best. Toughness of laminate and the wood fibre is very forgiving on an uneven floor and adds a bit of softness. We have it thought out our ground floor and it's great.

Thanks Conor. That sounds good. Would wood fibre go OK with UFH?

Also, the existing screed doesn't quite come up to the wall in many places, but up to foam insulation boarding that surrounds the room. I'm wondering whether I should cut that back since, unless I raise the floor above that level, I'm going to find bringing the laminate up to the wall and fitting a skirting board a bit tricky. 

18 minutes ago, Paene Finitur said:

Would wood fibre go OK with UFH?

No

Dodgy areas self leveling screed, to make flat. 

2 hours ago, Paene Finitur said:

Ideally this would be a spring wood floor but I don't think this would work well with the UFH.

Two different things that may not be compatible.

Would glue floor down to get best heat transfer.  Access holes make in the floor covering of your choice 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Paene Finitur said:

Thanks Conor. That sounds good. Would wood fibre go OK with UFH?

Also, the existing screed doesn't quite come up to the wall in many places, but up to foam insulation boarding that surrounds the room. I'm wondering whether I should cut that back since, unless I raise the floor above that level, I'm going to find bringing the laminate up to the wall and fitting a skirting board a bit tricky. 

It's fine. It's not as good as direct fitted or 2mm foam, but we've certainly not had any issues heating or cooling any spaces.

Yes, cut back the excess insulation.

• Thanks 1

You’re worried about UFH with underlay but do you actually need the heating on in the basement? Especially in a gym! Would’ve thought you want to keep the gym cool for exercising in personally. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

You’re worried about UFH with underlay but do you actually need the heating on in the basement? Especially in a gym! Would’ve thought you want to keep the gym cool for exercising in personally. 

No, I keep it fairly low. It's mainly - in conjunction with a HVAC - to avoid condensation/damp. That said, I don't want to put something that will block even that low level of heat. Being underground, it keeps a fairly consistent temperature, being slightly warmer in winter and cooler in summer. 

• Like 1