Hi all,

Doing a bit of research on the cost of as drawn and as built SAP specifically on ICF builds.  Appreciate that cost generally varies with build size and complexity.

I get the distinct impression there are two classes of assessment: a cheap, surface approach and a nuts and bolts, under every rock approach.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone that has gone down the DIY route.

Thanks.

You need the full assessment that compares your build with minimum building regs of your house. Isn't this something your architect sorts out?

They have no care if it's an ICF or any other type of build.

57 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

You need the full assessment that compares your build with minimum building regs of your house. Isn't this something your architect sorts out?

They have no care if it's an ICF or any other type of build.

Not all architects undertake SAP, and those that do often show SAP costs separately.  I'm interested in the range of those costs 

An assessor with ICF experience can produce a very different result to an assessor with no ICF experience.  So I'm also interested in people's experience in this regard.

We did our "as designed" through a separate company (cost was £480 inc VAT),  we are a TF, but not sure why it would make a difference being an ICF, we provided the calculated U-Values, Target Airtightness, and other information including ASHP make/model etc.  They created the full SAP Assessment.   They have sent us the evidence requirements they need to do the "as built" which we are just collating now.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PNAmble said:

We did our "as designed" through a separate company (cost was £480 inc VAT),  we are a TF, but not sure why it would make a difference being an ICF, we provided the calculated U-Values, Target Airtightness, and other information including ASHP make/model etc.  They created the full SAP Assessment.   They have sent us the evidence requirements they need to do the "as built" which we are just collating now.   

We were very similar, and ICF, the assessor just used the ICF approved details for u value, cold bridging and junctions etc.

25 minutes ago, FM2015 said:

assessor with ICF experience can produce a very different result to an assessor with no ICF experience.

Not sure why you think a different result will appear. They fill in boxes.

We had a separate invoice to pay for sap but architect arranged everything.

I’ve stated previously that the as built final Sap is a pointless bit of paper pushing Totally reliant on the information you supply 

Go online and find as cheap as possible We paid £140 five years ago Probably doubled now due to the price of ink going up 😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Not sure why you think a different result will appear. They fill in boxes

It's a poorly phrased question, I guess.  What I am getting at is that a collaborative SAP can inform design and yield project savings.  A cheap and cheerful provides one answer.  A more involved process provides a real world solution.

The use of standard values, "book" values and manufacturer specific values etc all change the results.  Further, not all ICF manufacturers can provide full datasets.

I see a number of sources saying as built is pointless and is just a sales benefit and due process.  Understandable but it still has a cost and it is these costs that I am interested in.

I am a bit confused to what costs you are referring to.

Is the cost of the SAP, or the cost difference of running the house. 

Accountants and economists have different ideas about what price and cost are.

In science, one comes up with an idea, think up ways to model it, then test it.

If the model and the test results are similar, then all well and good, if they are not similar, then a rethink is needed.

It is not unusual to have higher and lower bounds on test results. If the model results fall within these bounds, then the hypothesis is sound (until proven otherwise).

1 hour ago, FM2015 said:

as built is pointless

It's annoying that dodgy assessors give good results.

As with anything, there are proper experts and there are charlatans. 

The experts will point out ways of improving your results legitimately. 

But as the programme has flaws, it isn't necessarily the best thing to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I am a bit confused to what costs you are referring to.

Is the cost of the SAP, or the cost difference of running the house. 

Accountants and economists have different ideas about what price and cost are.

In science, one comes up with an idea, think up ways to model it, then test it.

If the model and the test results are similar, then all well and good, if they are not similar, then a rethink is needed.

It is not unusual to have higher and lower bounds on test results. If the model results fall within these bounds, then the hypothesis is sound (until proven otherwise).

Simple, what are sap assessments costing people?  I know exactly what games you can play with a mathematical model.  I'm just interested in what people are paying for the pleasure.

Posted (edited)

We paid £140 for as built SAP in 2018. We were allowed to use my PHPP results in place of as designed SAP.

Edited by Gone West
  • Thanks 1

Is used sap4u, I think that's the name. An online service. I paid around £120 for the design SAP, and it was £50 to produce the as built. I paid a little more for the as built as I changed from timber frame to ICF.

They wanted photos showing details as well as info from the ICF supplier.