Greetings from Leicestershire.

Cold Coffee

Hello all,

My husband and I are in the process of buying a plot of land with outline planning permission on it in Leicestershire.

Just checking in here and introducing myself before I get to the point of bombarding all you knowledge-wealthy people with questions.

I am doing lots of reading and price hunting at the moment.  We are meeting our architect on Monday to discuss our brief and our initial ideas, and we can't wait.

Looking forward to 'working' with you all in the coming months, maybe years!

Sally

• Like 2

Hi and welcome - sounds great - we will certainly look forward to hearing about your project and how it will unfold over the coming months and hopefully, not too many years! :$

In particular it will be of interest I'm sure, as to how you find the relationship with your architect.

Good luck PW.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Make sure you have a good solicitor on board that understands plots.

Check the planning permission. Measure the plot to make sure it is what you think and the house will actually fit.

Check the services, water, electricity and in particular drainage. How will the services get to the site and from where? Easements etc. And re drainage, if not mains, what system is proposed? will it actually fit? will it actually work?

These are more fundamental to get right first. Then you can design the house that suits your needs.

9 hours ago, Cold Coffee said:

Hello all,

My husband and I are in the process of buying a plot of land with outline planning permission on it in Leicestershire.

[...]

Welcome

Do check the drainage thoroughly first. No foul drain, no house. Personally check every ground survey in detail. If you can, watch it being done. Why? Read this.

Forewarned, forearmed.

I like cold coffee, iced coffee even more.

Ian

Welcome.

Nice to see another one from the East Midlands.

My nugget: spend the time to build up your own knowledge so you know enough to direct your architect in fulfilling *your* expectations.

Otherwise you can end up with your architect's vision, not your own.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Welcome.

Nice to see another one from the East Midlands.

My nugget: spend the time to build up your own knowledge so you know enough to direct your architect in fulfilling *your* expectations.

Otherwise you can end up with yoru arichitect's vision, not your own.

Thanks Ferdinand.  We sat and wrote our essentials & desirables list a couple of weeks ago.  It was only last night that I realised we hadn't asked our children for their thoughts.  They came up with some really interesting ideas about how they see us all living in the house.

1 hour ago, Cold Coffee said:

Thanks Ferdinand.  We sat and wrote our essentials & desirables list a couple of weeks ago.  It was only last night that I realised we hadn't asked our children for their thoughts.  They came up with some really interesting ideas about how they see us all living in the house.

There are also the Unknown Unknowns - things you haven't asked for because you  do not know that they can be done. You only find them by visiting lots of interesting houses.

eg increase the perceived size of your interior against a path or wall on a boundary (or hiding a closed off view) by putting in a window below the height of the wall outside and planting something green against the wall that feels like a windowsill a metre away but is actually outside.

A window with the top at 1m and sill at 0.2m is a good trick in the front if you ar tight to a path and do not want the public to see in, but the Council limit your wall to 1m or 1.2m.

Equally something similar looking inside, lit froma  source that cannot be seen (consider a former fireplace lit from a hidden source above) and you start playing games with inside/outside. 

etc.

F

Edited by Ferdinand