Stair stringer to skirting board detail

Kelvin

After the stairs were installed it left an awkward detail at the top of the stairs where the stringer joins the skirting board. Further complicated by the fact my skirting boards are higher than the top of the stringer and theres a gap between the stringer and the wall. Consequently running the skirting board up to the back of the stringer meant the skirting was higher than stringer. I figured that this must be a common feature to detail. A quick look at Heb Homes website and sure enough several examples of the problem. See picture. I can’t quite believe they left it like that as that would annoy the hell out of me every time I walked up the stairs. The second picture shows what I’ve done to address this but can you see how I’ve done it because I can’t decide if it annoys me or not. Any other ideas? 

IMG_1836.png.1871fdb78645518eb555fffcf0d411ca.png

IMG_1833.thumb.jpeg.f5597d1d01f24c99cde7ff69d4ee608b.jpegIMG_1834.thumb.jpeg.4652ec9bffff7b57a20aa26f40528b9e.jpeg

Yep. So it seems. I contemplated concealing the stringer into the wall originally. 

In case no one notices how I got the skirting to match the stringer height is I ripped 25mm off it. 😂 Compare it to the skirting on the right. My wife told me to only look at that side when I go upstairs 😂 

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I’ve rarely seen a good finish here. 

That's because you are looking at it, for the ultimate solution. 

The Georgians or Victorians would have put a moulding over it, drawing even more attention, but then distracted from it with mouldings all over the place.

Just finished my stairs and had a similar issue. 

I ran an 12mm quadrant of trim on top to cover the gap and distract from the square top to Skirting end. 

Not entirely happy with it, but it looks better than it did and I'm probably the only person that would ever notice

4 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

Just finished my stairs and had a similar issue. 

I ran an 12mm quadrant of trim on top to cover the gap and distract from the square top to Skirting end. 

Not entirely happy with it, but it looks better than it did and I'm probably the only person that would ever notice

I’ll probably do the same. I’ll fill it first and see how that works. 

• Like 1