Reasonable cost for asbestos removal

Strak

Hi all,

We have a concrete garage with an asbestos roof which needs to be taken down before building our extension.

My plan is to have the roof removed by an asbestos removal company, then stick the concrete part on eBay for someone to come and take away.

The roof is 6 metres x 3 metres, 9 panels - photos attached. I've contacted a company to ask for a quote - just wondering if someone here could guide me on what a reasonable price for removal and disposal of this size of asbestos roof would be?

Thanks!

20240419_145318-min.jpg

20240419_145448-min.jpg

20240419_145635-min.jpg

Looks like asbestos cement so fairly low risk. Only needs taking off and wrapping in polythene or large bags (double wrapped) and taken to local waste site or into a covered skip - your local skip provider should be able to deal with it.

• Like 2

I paid about £700 3 years ago for a roof a little larger than that. As @markc mentioned, you can do it yourself, but read up how to do it safely and how to dispose of the sheets. Especially take care not to break the sheets or cause any dust to be released. According to the HSE, over 5000 people die every year in the UK from asbestos related diseases. 

• Thanks 1

As above. 

It is cement base boards which is  chrysotile/cement mixed which comes under non licensed works provided you wear the correct PPE etc.

Spray the board around the bolts holes when removing with 50/50 mix of pva to minimise any fibre release and binds all the dust together when the pva is dry, try to remove them as a full board without breaking them.

Double wrap and pay to be taken away , or pay between 700-1200 for a company to do it for you .

Just bare in mind if you remove them yourself they are pretty heavy as a full board to take to the local household tip.

You can buy a test kit and send a sample In to be analysed but the likely hood of it not containing a small amount of asbestos is very slim looking at the age of it .

Edited by stu w
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

I would recommend doing it yourself. 

Very low risk, I did a section of cement board in my house, totalled 22kg and the local authority attached for Biffa to pick it up for £90 so long as it was credible and double wrapped in thick plastic bags. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the tips everyone 🙂 I am considering doing it myself as you recommend, I guess I've just been ultra paranoid about anything where asbestos is mentioned. Under all of our carpets we also have vinyl tiles containing asbestos which need to go at some point as we're redoing our floors.

I've just been looking into my council and they also do Biffa collection at £90ish for 50kg. Do you remember how many sheets made up that 22kg, and how big they were @FuerteStu?

They were small soffet boards and a door from an old boiler. 

Not big really, but I think there was a minimum charge for collection. 

I'd imagine your roof would be more than 50kg, but less than 100.. Just a guess though. 

+1 DIY.     

I did so myself at at the time my local council took asbestos for free.  Buying the required ppe & bags tape etc still much cheaper.

my tip would be get a second person to help - significantly reduces chances of damaging the boards.  And do it on a cold day it’s hot and sweaty in proper ppe.   Get a decent all in one mask if you can.  

being a low flat roof it should be an easy job. Planks as catwalks, unbolt and bag fixings.  stu w gave some good tips.  Lift down panels and double bag & tape.  Don’t be tempted to pull the sheets down into the garage, lift off from the top and be careful that they don’t scrape on the way down.  

you’ll have a huge amount of mitigation and don’t forget the asbestos removers do this work day in day out.  

42 minutes ago, Strak said:

@FarmerN I think the comments above say it's very likely to contain asbestos because of the age, just that it's a relatively low risk type of asbestos.

It will be low risk but still protect yourself and others the best you can.

P3 mask , tyvek disposable suit , gloves ,over shoe protection etc and thrown it all away once your finished, non of the ppe is expensive and ultimately its your health you could affect for a few pounds.

There is minimal risk of fibre release in the job you are looking to carry out , just be mindful to create as little fibre release as possible,  spray everything even when undoing the bolts if you feel it will create dust.

Many many years ago I dismantled my brother asbestos (we think) garage, no PPE but my brother stood there with a hose soaking me and the garage whilst I put it in my trailer. No chance of dust or fibres.

Edited by joe90

30 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Many many years ago I dismantled my brother asbestos (we think) garage, no PPE but my brother stood there with a hose soaking me and the garage whilst I put it in my trailer. No chance of dust or fibres.

Not so unfortunately depend on the type of asbestos, you would of inhaled fibres , it would of stuck to your clothes , which then goes in the washing machine which Contaminate other clothes, on your shoes etc.

Some types of asbestos fibres are simply not washed off , and even if you do wash them off , when dry they are still fibre to move around .

Encapsulation is the key to minimise fibre release not water 

Edited by stu w

We have a lot of farm sheds with Fiber cement and cement  asbestos rooves. Most of those built after 1994 have been tested asbestos free, though odd sheds still had it in.

No idea what era the garage pictured would be, but roof sheets look in very good condition for a shallow pitch.

I think the ban on asbestos use came in, in 1999, but the change away to other fibers started in the 1980's.

Not suggesting working on it without testing first.

Thanks all for your replies on this. I think the DIY route is most likely for me. For info, the two quotes I've had back so far are £695 - it seems steep given the simplicity of the work, but then again I don't know what commercial rates they pay for disposal.

I've also sent of a sample of the roof for analysis just do double check that it's definitely asbestos - a friend round the corner recently did the same job on his garage, but the roof looked a lot older than on mine, so a glimmer of optimism remains. However, given my general luck so far on this project, it's safe to assume that it will come back as a positive 😃

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Strak said:

Thanks all for your replies on this. I think the DIY route is most likely for me. For info, the two quotes I've had back so far are £695 - it seems steep given the simplicity of the work, but then again I don't know what commercial rates they pay for disposal.

I've also sent of a sample of the roof for analysis just do double check that it's definitely asbestos - a friend round the corner recently did the same job on his garage, but the roof looked a lot older than on mine, so a glimmer of optimism remains. However, given my general luck so far on this project, it's safe to assume that it will come back as a positive 😃

Did you request a quote just for the disposal also, if it was already removed ?.

45 minutes ago, stu w said:

Did you request a quote just for the disposal also, if it was already removed ?.

Nope ... Good point - I'll do that!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gaz_moose said:

keep us updated.. i am in the exact predicament as you with a concrete garage with asbestos roof to dispose of.

what company quoted you the £700??

Alliance asbestos: Asbestos Removal in Cambridgeshire & UK - Alliance Asbestos Services (alliance-asbestos-services.co.uk) - I have used them before for something else, I know they're genuine and would do a good and safe job. Also got a quote from JS Removals | Asbestos | Rubbish | House Clearances - no experience with them, just the quote was easy to do as via whatsapp. Both came to £695 + VAT (edit: just realised that JS Removals are east midlands so nowhere near me anyway).

I have looked at this site: Asbestos Removal Garage | Safe:Environment (safe-environment.co.uk) and their instant quote comes out at £450 ish, but the problem is that I have no idea if they would dispose of the waste safely, and there's no information on their site about that.

When I get the quote in for just collection I'll post an update here.

40 minutes ago, gaz_moose said:

the local council tip round my way allow you to dispose of it there, but only 4 sheets every 6 months. you have to double bag it etc.. 

Mine is 2 sheets per year 😀 Parents are nearby with a different council and I think it's unlimited but you pay £90 for every 100 kilos, I still have no idea how much a roof sheet weighs though!

Edited by Strak
Realised one of the companies I got a quote from is in a different area

Pleasantly surprised to get the test results back today with the result NADIS ... No asbestos detected in sample. So here ends my search for a way to dispose of it!

@gaz_moose I haven't had a reply to me request for a quote for disposal only but will update this thread if I do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strak said:

Pleasantly surprised to get the test results back today with the result NADIS ... No asbestos detected in sample. So here ends my search for a way to dispose of it!

@gaz_moose I haven't had a reply to me request for a quote for disposal only but will update this thread if I do.

Excellent news 👌.

Keep that test result as you well may be asked to prove that's the case on disposal,  it still may have to go in the asbestos skip at your local tip 

• Thanks 1