Plumber dispute

Hi,

I had a new boiler installed last November by a reputable local company that I have used a number of times without issue. The boiler sprung a gas leak, he checked it out with a sensor and could find nothing....there was a strong smell of gas.

March 24 I bought a 2.5k new range cooker blaming the smell on our current 20yr oldcooker. Guys arrived with it to install and discovered a gas leak. Took cooker back at my request,  Cadent confirmed leak, plumber came out and fixed leak from boiler he had originally installed and tested. 

April, i asked same plumber to do second fix on my bathroom  I had built myself as an act if 'goodwill' for the stress and disruption of the gas leak. He did so but the basin trap leaked, the shower valve was upside down, the rad not centered on the wall and trap door that I had built to access floor pipes was jammed in and required a crowbar to open.

I rectified all of these issues myself and did a bloomin good job too!

I then received a bill for £367.....

Now, i realise he never actually agreed to work for free but neither did i recieve a quote for 2nd fix either. Do I have any grounds for not paying? He's now getting person and I haven't. 

I don't mean to be harsh, but don't you think you kinda brought this second mess on yourself? You actively chose to get back a tradesperson who you already know made a potentially life-threatening mistake and he wasn't even able to fix it when told about it originally! What made you think his second-fix plumbing in your bathroom would be any better?

If he didn't provide a quote, what did he agree to? What do you have in writing? Did you take detailed photographic evidence of his mistakes before you fixed them? If you've got pics, ask him for an itemised bill, and then you can prove that he didn't actually fulfill those things properly and therefore you're not paying.

But to be brutally honest, I think you partially brought this on yourself and might need to chalk it up as not-too-expensive life lesson.

• Like 4

I have deducted money from some of the trades when I’ve had to make good avoidable damage or fixed/re-done something they did or I’m just not happy with what they’ve done. Most are ok about it. The running total so far is £10,000 but that was mostly the garage. Therefore if it was me I’d deduct something for the work you did to make good. 

The only way to get good quality work done is to get good quality people, give them a good brief, adequate supervision and treat and pay them properly.

Bringing a complaint against his previous work, and then letting him loose on a bathroom to be expected to work for free was asking for trouble, I won't go so far as to suggest sabotage but I could understand his motivations if that was the case. 

Beware if you get a reputation for being an unfair customer it may be harder to get other people in time to come. 

4 hours ago, Dee said:

... Do I have any grounds for not paying? ...

No.

He accepted your request to work in good faith, and (as related above) had every right to assume that you were satisfied with his work to date.

Because '....I rectified all these issues myself ...' And the matter was not discussed.

You didn't get a quote (or an estimate ) . 

It feels like neither of you wanted to talk to one another. 

Cost : £367.

Lesson learned - 3 estimates from three plumbers - Due Diligence 

Cheap at the price.

Yes, I can hear you say "Well you try and get three plumbers round here then.... "

Ok, just the one ESTIMATE and a clear understanding that if the work isn't up to snuff ( ... because you have been  rectifying issues yourself.... ) a snagging retention should be negotiated. Pay him for the parts, and for (say) half the outstanding balance.  

Just like @Temp says: managing people is harder than the work. 

Lots of valid points made.

Believe it or not the company have been around for years and really do have a good reputation, they look after my rental too. He does employ guys so maybe the one was a dud. I dont like to stand over trades and spell the job as I am very trusting of their experience ....nievety i think now.!

I have photos of the befor work. I've had one hell of a job getting plumbers in just to quote and was feeling quite desperate hence falling at his feet when he agreed to come in. I always pay trades within a few days too, I think I'm a good customer but I'm constantly learning the hard way with trades!

I'll send him photos see what response I get.....thanks everyone