Bit of a mystery...

Hi Buildhubbers, long time no speak, but hope you're all well.

As per the title, I have a bit of a mystery. This morning, I happened to notice that we were consuming around 3kW at a time when I didn't expect us to be. Couldn't check immediately as I had to pop out, and the load had stopped by the time I returned. I'll admit, I don't check that frequently these days as the house has been in a settled pattern and overall usage has been in line with expectations.

However, on checking bills, we have been pulling such a load on random Monday mid/late mornings, for at least the last few months. Not every Monday, not even every other Monday, but completely randomly, and seemingly for 90 minutes each time.

My first thought was to check if I'd made a cockup on the programming of the ASHP, but I haven't (it goes off at 5.30am daily and doesn't co e back on until 11.30pm).

My second thought was to check that I hadn't inadvertently changed the time if the sterilisation cycle (for Legionnaires), or that I had somehow triggered the backup heater mode - I haven't. 

So now I'm baffled. I can only see it being that the ASHP is coming on, but there's no obvious reason why. Any suggestions of where or what to check next would be greatly appreciated, please.

3kw is exactly what most immersions pull that would my first check if you have one.

The switch for ours is in the understairs cupboard and my in-laws turned ours by accident had me puzzled for a while. 

5 minutes ago, NSS said:

My second thought was to check that I hadn't inadvertently changed the time if the sterilisation cycle (for Legionnaires), or that I had somehow triggered the backup heater mode - I haven't. 

Bu**er! That was my favourite! Hope you find it.

• Like 1

The immersion is the backup heater, and switched via the ASHP controller. The only time the immersion contributes heat to the tank is when the diverter sends excess solar to it.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If your immersion has a local isolating switch, turn that off and see if the rogue power stops.

Hi Dave, the only separate switch turns off the diverter. 

I've just checked the programming of all the roomstats and they are all programmed correctly too (and in any case use a single program all weekdays so would not explain why this only appears to happen on Monday mornings.

12 minutes ago, NSS said:

the only separate switch turns off the diverter. 

If you are comfortable power down the diverter and then open the immersion and remove the live wire, wrap the open end in tape and close the immersion cover - wait to see of the problem goes away. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

If you are comfortable power down the diverter and then open the immersion and remove the live wire, wrap the open end in tape and close the immersion cover - wait to see of the problem goes away. 

Trouble is, I won't know for sure, Mike, as it doesn't seem to happen every Monday 🤔. Meanwhile, I could be sacrificing a fair bit of solar.

Edited by NSS

Are you normally in at the rogue time?  If so keep an eye on the power usage and when you see the spike, start turning circuits off one at a time at the consumer unit to see which one it is.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Got to be cheaper than not knowing what is causing it, or having to get an electrician out.

Possibly 👍🏻 

Edited by NSS

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Are you normally in at the rogue time?  If so keep an eye on the power usage and when you see the spike, start turning circuits off one at a time at the consumer unit to see which one it is.

Normally, no, which I guess is partly why we've not noticed it before today. Think I have little option but to do as you suggest, Dave. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a little baffled though 🤣

What make of diverter is it?  If it's a Myenergi Eddi, you can check the app to see if it's been running.  But i guess if it is, then you'll already have done that.

Another way to check would be to get a power monitor with a current clamp.  Install it on the live to the diverter and monitor the usage.

Simon

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichardL said:

It would only fire up when the water cools or someone uses a tap.

Could it be that your cleaner comes on Monday mornings and routinely boosts the immersion heater or something like that?

1 hour ago, Bramco said:

What make of diverter is it?  If it's a Myenergi Eddi, you can check the app to see if it's been running.  But i guess if it is, then you'll already have done that.

Another way to check would be to get a power monitor with a current clamp.  Install it on the live to the diverter and monitor the usage.

Simon

Hi Simon, no, not an Eddi, a first generation Power Diverter. It's pretty basic, with no ability to program other than a boost button that can be pressed to run the immersion for a fixed period.

4 minutes ago, sharpener said:

Could it be that your cleaner comes on Monday mornings and routinely boosts the immersion heater or something like that?

The cleaner does indeed come on Mondays, but not until after the phantom load starts. Are you spying on me? 😉 

53 minutes ago, NSS said:

a boost button that can be pressed to run the immersion for a fixed period

Would that be 90 mins? Maybe the button is faulty or there is a loose connection having the same effect? But only on Mondays, no I am stumped, ask yourself what else (apart from the cleaner) is special about Mondays?

Perhaps the button gets knocked when you get the clean sheets/towels out of the airing cupboard? Or bang it with the vacuum cleaner, I am grasping at straws now.

Edited by sharpener

6 minutes ago, sharpener said:

Would that be 90 mins? Maybe the button is faulty or there is a loose connection having the same effect? But only on Mondays, no I am stumped, ask yourself what else (apart from the cleaner) is special about Mondays?

Perhaps the button gets knocked when you get the clean sheets/towels out of the airing cupboard? Or bang it with the vacuum cleaner, I am grasping at straws now.

30, 60 or 90 minutes depending on how many times you push it, but no reason for anyone to go in the cupboard other than to access the diverter or the heat pump controller. Talking of clutching at straws, I'm beginning to think Bob Geldof may be the culprit!

And he can see no reasons
'Cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be shown?

Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays...

• Haha 1