Brass hose end connector fail

Adsibob

I bought some brass hose end connectors in May last year asi thought they would be much more durable than plastic. They have failed just under a year later. By “failed” I mean water is not getting through them. No blockage in the hose itself, so must be the connector.

I left them outside during the winter, but they were marketed as weather and rust resistant, so I’m not sure what’s gone on. At a fiver each, this has pissed me off, though given its lies than a year I should be able to get my money back.

What brass connectors do people use and how long do they last you?

these are waterstop connectors, and they were left with no male fitting plugged in over the winter? The wee valve has probably got a bit of corrosion on, have you tried (say) giving it a tap with a screwdriver down the hole, or such?

🤣 I thought that happened to me once but realised as they were “ water stop “ connections they won’t let water pass unless something is plugged into it (not saying yours is this but might be worth checking 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

🤣 I thought that happened to me once but realised as they were “ water stop “ connections they won’t let water pass unless something is plugged into it (not saying yours is this but might be worth checking 🤷‍♂️

Thanks @joe90 but that is not the issue here. I’m using the female water stop connector to connect a hose to a compatible male valve attached to my garden tap. It’s not working.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

these are waterstop connectors, and they were left with no male fitting plugged in over the winter?

yes.

15 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

The wee valve has probably got a bit of corrosion on, have you tried (say) giving it a tap with a screwdriver down the hole, or such?

Not sure how tapping it will fix it. When I shake the connector, I can hear the valve opening and closing, which is why this is so confusing…

33 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Can you blow through it ?

is it off the hose?

Yeah, I took it off to inspect it. Haven’t checked blowing through. Not sure what that would tell me. 

4 hours ago, MPH243 said:

Try turning the hose around, I had one that only worked in one direction.

It’s definitely the connector, not the hose. Prior to posting this, I treated the hose with a different connector because I thought the hose might be blocked.

I also used brass connectors assuming they would be better. 

They are tougher in resisting impact damage and uv.

But yes they fail.

The weaknesses are in the steel bits, whether springs or clip assemblies of wire and ball bearings.

So I use plastic now. Either the 'bargain'  packs that I know will only last a year, or the brands when on very special offer. 

The brass ones can sometimes be resued by dismantling and  cleaning, but not always.

I shall be returning for a refund given they are marketed as being more durable and frost resistant (as opposed to plastic which often say they need to be stored in a frost free environment during winter).

Any recommendations for replacement brands and/or offers much appreciated.

3 hours ago, MPH243 said:

I meant the connectors.

I knew that. Many a time I've thought it wasn't working when it was back to front. This especially happens with 2 female ends facing and a double male (?!) connector.

On 14/04/2024 at 18:52, Adsibob said:

Thanks @joe90 but that is not the issue here. I’m using the female water stop connector to connect a hose to a compatible male valve attached to my garden tap. It’s not working.

I've never heard of the brass MALE connectors failing in the way described. They are just tubes.

Could it be faulty non-return valve in the tap? If you remove the male hose connector from the tap does the tap on its own work?

Isolation valve still off?

Edited by Temp

7 hours ago, Temp said:

I've never heard of the brass MALE connectors failing in the way described. They are just tubes.

Could it be faulty non-return valve in the tap? If you remove the male hose connector from the tap does the tap on its own work?

Isolation valve still off?

Sorry, I’m perhaps not being clear. The tap has a chrome plated 4 way splitter that creates 4 male connectors. That is working fine. To one of those splitters, I normally have a brass female connector. It is that female connector which has failed, in that when I connect the hose, the water doesn’t get through it.