Internorm fixing straps. Or maybe not.

So our window fitter didn't have enough of the specific fixing straps that clip into the side of the frame of our very expensive internorm windows.

He said he would drill into the side and that  would be fine, but it just seems a bit crap to turn up without the straps and then improvise on site. 

When I asked him to use the proper straps he said it would take too long to get them from Austria.

The window fitters are off site for a few days and coming back to finish fitting the remaining windows (including the very big windows and slider that will be the most challenging) next week.  (We are responsible for the delay)

Should I insist on the proper fixing straps or let him drill away?

You can get a multi hole strap from most builders merchants and screw fix. 
I had boxes of the correct straps, the fitters said they are crap and sent me to screw fix for a bundle 

far better, more flex for acurate screwing. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You can get a multi hole strap from most builders merchants...

To screw into the side of the window frame or clip on ?

It’s crap yes but also normal for fitters to even discard the fitting kits and do what they always do. We used straps screwed to the windows as this is what our window supplier specified. It’ll probably be fine just check the warranty isn’t impacted. 

• Thanks 1

Sadly too often the case. Our sliding door was off square by 20mm and 15mm out of plumb. I didn’t need to put a level on it to see it. I pointed it out to them as they moved onto the next window and got a load of waffle about it was just in and they were going to come back and true it up at the end. Who does that. After that I followed them round every window and checked it. This obviously pissed them off but I was passed caring about their ‘professional pride’ at this point. “It’s been years since I’ve had my work checked” etc.  My advice to them of never being too proud to have your work checked fell on deaf ears. 

• Like 2

I also thought the window fitters may actually screw into the block to fix the windows.  How foolish of me, a nail gun is far quicker. 🙄

And why spend a tenner on new straps when there is a bucket of spares to use. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing wrong with

1: Discarding manufacturers straps for fitting.

2: Nothing wrong with find s solution on site

3: Nothing wrong with screwing into/through frame.

4: Nothing wrong with using an alternativd fixing method.

As long as you or the installer are following GGR guidelines, I don’t see the concern.

I do see the concern with poor installs.

Edited by craig

4 hours ago, craig said:

Nothing wrong with

1: Discarding manufacturers straps for fitting.

2: Nothing wrong with find s solution on site

3: Nothing wrong with screwing into/through frame.

4: Nothing wrong with using an alternativd fixing method.

As long as you or the installer are following GGR guidelines, I don’t see the concern.

I do see the concern with poor installs.

I'm interested to learn more - what are GGR guidelines and where can I find them?

Thanks

18 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Should I insist on the proper fixing straps or let him drill away?

YES 

All kinds of straps are available and if they don't have enough then they have not done their planning have they and that is a worry. If the windows are not fitted according to the manufacturers specification their warrenty will be void and it will all fall on the fitter.