Building fell down. For some reason this was called news today, but it's interesting

Staplehurst architect recalls the moment his unique roof design collapsed on Grand Designs TV show - and cost him £200,000

It won awards despite falling down and later all the turf slipping off it.

My main thought arising is ' how come nothing was damaged, and it was rebuilt in a week, and it cost £200k?

The article is here if you are interested in building an arch with layers of tiles. Don't forget to refuse the options.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/my-grand-designs-collapse-cost-me-200k-304652/?fbclid=IwAR3FRsatlvZp-JcSHcEzDkgMuyHJQj5DEjz8adotrjA8SfC_mr-WgIQvfYY_aem_AaCCbhk_bWjckpKNM5mqO1vxtYwaC__9aLt9EOb4NOQsML9Np4b28-yVN2D0Tax5Zs7wdvIdK31a7_Jun3Y4Fu44

The roof was designed to blend in with its natural surroundings. Photo credit: Richard Hawkes

I wonder what it all looks like now. I saw a house in England a few years ago that had expansive sedum roofing and it looked a weedy mess to me. 

• Like 1

I remember watching it and the arched tiled roof was stuck together wish plaster of paris.   And I remember thinking "doesn't that turn to mush when it gets wet?"

After it had collapsed once, I am not sure I would trust it enough to sleep under.

We visited that house after the roof had been repaired. I just rang Richard Hawkes, told him about our plans and asked if we could have a look around. He is a very nice, helpful chap and was happy to show us the various technologies he used. It was a long time ago but IIRC the house was a test bed for several unusual things such as water cooled PV and paraffin wax phase change panels in the walls. He also used glass chippings in the concrete floor which he had polished, looked great.

• Like 2

I love people that have the balls to try such different build methods and ideas. Our is ‘advanced’ compared to any other big builder new house built but it’s still a very traditional rectangular build using traditional materials although the insurance industry has a different perspective. Had money been no object I might have been braver I guess and gone the whole bespoke route building into the slope and only having a small footprint of the upstairs showing hidden with a sedum roof. We very briefly considered this. My other half’s dad was an architect (sadly departed so didn’t get to see our finished house) and he encouraged us to think about it. He drew a few ideas for us. However trying to get a handle on the cost proved difficult. A tiny part of me regrets not exploring the ideas further and in less inflationary times we might have done it. 

I wonder how easy that house is to insure and get a mortgage on. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1