solar pv in my field

HI we have space for a ground mounted array in our field. It would be about 150m from the house.  Has anyone experience in applying for planning permission for this type of system? It will be bigger than the 9m2 permitted size.

Also is it better to run longer DC cables and have inverter near the house, or the other way round. From scanning the forum longer DC seems better? My initial idea is about 10kW array going into a battery system near the house.

many thanks!

Yes DC over the long run, just use normal armoured cable of the correct size.

The more vertical the panels the more even the production is over the year. You get a slight lower yield overall but more when you need it.

Mine are vertical and more like a fence. I took the 9m2 as floor area it takes up. 40mm thick is a lot of panels

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kai casswell said:

10kW array

Much of that will depend on how it is wired up.  A lot of inverters can take 1000V input which reduces the current, and therefore the cable size.

Does it really have to be 150m away?

13 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Mine are vertical and more like a fence. I took the 9m2 as floor area it takes up. 40mm thick is a lot of panels

Very creative. I'll run with that if I ever get asked about ours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Much of that will depend on how it is wired up.  A lot of inverters can take 1000V input which reduces the current, and therefore the cable size.

Does it really have to be 150m away?

Probably for the best sun  

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Yes DC over the long run, just use normal armoured cable of the correct size.

The more vertical the panels the more even the production is over the year. You get a slight lower yield overall but more when you need it.

I wonder if they would check that or if it’s actually specified how the 9m is measured. Would save a lot of hassle if I try permitted. 

Does anybody have a link to a definitive source for the 9m² limit? I've come across some reference to a maximum height of 4m and, possibly, maximum 3m in each other dimension. But I'm not sure how authoritative this is, and whether it applies to Scotland.

42 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Summary

4.87 Permitted development rights allow for the carrying out of works within the rear curtilage of a dwellinghouse not covered by other classes. It is intended to apply to garden works, free-standing solar panels, flag poles, swimming pools and oil tanks. In summary, the effect of limitations is that:

• the development is generally located in the rear
  • the height of the resulting structure is not higher than 3 metres
  • at least half the curtilage remains undeveloped

4.88 This permitted development rights do not apply in conservation areas or within the curtilage of a listed building.

4.89 A building warrant from the local authority may be required for these types of developments, as explained in Section 2.

I Couldn't find reference to 9M2..  Class 3B seems to cover PD in the rear curtilage. as below

Legislation

Class 3B.-

(1) The carrying out of any building, engineering, installation or other operation within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of that dwellinghouse.

Development is not permitted by this class if-

(a) any part of the development would be forward of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation where that elevation fronts a road;

(b) any resulting structure would exceed 3 metres in height;

(c) as a result of the development the area of ground covered by development within the front or rear curtilage of the dwellinghouse (excluding the original dwellinghouse and any hard surface or deck) would exceed 50% of the area of the front or rear curtilage respectively (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse and any hard surface or deck);

(d) it would be within a conservation area or within the curtilage of a listed building; or

(e) it would be development described in class 3A(1), 3C(1), 3D(1), 3E(1), 6D, 6E, 6G(1), 6H(1) or 8.

Edited by Jenki
Clarity

40 minutes ago, joe90 said:

So the key phrase seems to be "free-standing solar panels". Googling that brings up news that the Scottish parliament are set to approve an increase to 12m².

https://www.savills.co.uk/blog/article/358468/commercial-property/unpacking-changes-to-the-planning-process-for-solar-energy-in-scotland.aspx#:~:text=The%20permitted%20development%20announcement%20in,up%20to%2012%20sq%20m).

28 minutes ago, Crofter said:

So the key phrase seems to be "free-standing solar panels". Googling that brings up news that the Scottish parliament are set to approve an increase to 12m².

https://www.savills.co.uk/blog/article/358468/commercial-property/unpacking-changes-to-the-planning-process-for-solar-energy-in-scotland.aspx#:~:text=The permitted development announcement in,up to 12 sq m).

Can I assume if, like me, you included the ground mount PV panels on the planning for my house, that I have not therefore yet used any of my permitted development allowance so I could still add another 12 square metres of permitted development PV?

Alternatively is like mine ended up, with PV forming the roof of a shed, you could carry on building as many sheds as PD allows each with solar PV covered roofs.