Kingspan or Celotex

Rick K

No it’s not worth the extra That’s why most of the Builders merchants stock celotex Kingspan is the Hoover of vacuum cleaners 

Basically the same stuff, different trade names.

Buy at the best price, shop around I got mine online came direct from the factory. Prices vary daily so you need to do your legwork to find the best price. But was 70% cheaper than I could get locally.

• Like 1

If funds are really tight and you can put up with the difference in insulation value, try 100 PIR over 50 EPS. The EPS is a bit more forgiving of the subfloor too...

• Like 1

What they said above.

When I used to phone a merchant and order Celotex, they just hear, that white stuff over in the corner of the yard and delivered Recticel regardless.

The thermal conductivity for all the products is very similar in any case. The most important factor is how it is installed – what can be detrimental to the performance is gaps. I did multiple layers of it (because no one stocks it 250mm thick). I filled all joining surfaces with an airtight sealing foam as you would use mortar on blocks and also sealed the top of the joints with foil tape. A bit over the top maybe, but there ain’t no gaps.

The biggest saving by far I found was to buy seconds locally. A chap delivered us 2 trailer loads, he said he gets it from the Kingspan factory. It was probably less than half price.😁

27 minutes ago, Rick K said:

Just out of interest, what is the advantage?

Cheaper. Easier to handle. Easier to cut. 50mm on the slab and then 100mm opposite way eliminates any "rocking" issues. Easy to use or sell on leftovers. 

Edited by Conor

4 minutes ago, Conor said:

Cheaper. Easier to handle. Easier to cut. 50mm on the slab and then 100mm opposite way eliminates any "rocking" issues. Easy to use or sell on leftovers.

Yes and the slab is never perfectly flat, so there is more opportunity to correct any undulations going over it twice.