Staircase, when did you put it in and what material?

On 25/03/2024 at 06:51, Iceverge said:

Pit ours in before spray painting. Bit of a PITA masking it. 

Pine and painted and carpeted. Oak handrails and popular spindles. 

Pleased with the carpet. Would do the same again. Oak is fine. Maybe a lighter wood would be nicer. 

Screenshot_2024-03-25-06-46-53-677_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.f1ae506ea8cd9a4682b7ab0e44b48860.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-25-06-48-21-112_com.google.android_apps.photos-edit.thumb.jpg.37f160a3a2c9050086e474dd214e591e.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-25-06-48-35-867_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.daf5e265838c949ccb3f63bab3b82c87.jpg

Where did you get those long spindles? I want some of those for our staircase too 😊

50mm popular battens is all they are. 

I would round the edges of them had i the time again. 

Beware using the pigs ear hand rails, they're not particularly grippy.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I spent a small fortune on my staircase. Three flights in solid oak, stained to match the other oak in our house. Looks great. Bank balance still hurting.

Edited by Adsibob

Question to those with oak.

Is it noisy, I mean when walking up/down it?  A local manufacturer to me warned me off as it could be a bit boomy.  Suggested oak for everything else but the treads? - Just curious as I've not committed either way yet.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Is it noisy, I mean when walking up/down it?  A local manufacturer to me warned me off as it could be a bit boomy.  Suggested oak for everything else but the treads? - Just curious as I've not committed either way yet.

I compromised…best of both worlds plus I find wood treads slippery.

IMG_0854.jpeg

Edited by joe90

14 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

In what sense? Our oak staircase is very quiet, only real noise is that there are a couple of treads which creak a little bit, but nothing major. 

23 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

we packed the underside of the stairs with leftover loftroll before boarding, made a massive difference to the sound.

• Thanks 1