43 minutes ago, ETC said:

While a fire engineered solution may be acceptable to BC having the kitchen open to the floors above is - in my opinion - dangerous. Consider a scenario where smoke from a fire on the ground floor rises - the parents are in their bedroom and the children are in theirs. All rooms have fire escape windows but a parent will always want to get to their children in an emergency and this could mean entering a smoke filled hallway.

There is a possibility of fire curtain system which can counter the issue of smoke spreading through the hall but understand the additional costs.. Have seen one in the office but not sure if with that installed the requirement of mist system might disappear so net cost might become manageable. 

2 hours ago, ETC said:

Getting very contrived.

That is true; in order to keep the open plan, feature staircase/gallery view plus double height ceiling in the living room, not sure if there are any other solution but will be keen to learn about. 

• 1 month later...

Please help if you can!

Have received amended plans and bit heart broken to see loss of space due to addition of fire escape route on all three floors also giving house very commercial feel. The fire engineered solution would be expensive with fire curtain to be most expensive. Fire escape route however does not deal with smoke issue to the left wing of the house so not sure if it is going to work in any case. 

Any thoughts as to what could be done to make the design fire safe without fire engineered solution or dedicated second staircase while allowing the light to spread from south facing front to north facing rear. 

Happy to lose the curve staircase but wanted to keep gallery feel and double height ceilings.

Screenshot_20240514_182437_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Can I just check where you are..

- was the extra staircase your architect's solution?

- are the mist / curtain options not 'a fire engineered solution'?

- can you give the rough cost of each option please? (I may have a similar problem) - I'm surprised the fire curtain is expensive.

- is it an option to speak to an actual fire engineer?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Can I just check where you are..

- was the extra staircase your architect's solution?

- are the mist / curtain options not 'a fire engineered solution'?

- can you give the rough cost of each option please? (I may have a similar problem) - I'm surprised the fire curtain is expensive.

- is it an option to speak to an actual fire engineer?

Yes. The extra staircase is the fire escape route from the second floor and was proposed as a way to counter potential fire engineered solution involving fire suppression system/sprinklers/fire curtains (fire curtain being the most expensive option. I have not had any quotes on the fire curtain but it seems to be around £2.5k per sqm based on quick google search and we will need to have c50sqm for first and second floor. So yes based on this it will be extremely expensive. Might need to speak with company to get a quote.

Your suggestion to speak with actual fire engineer is good one. I might try that.

I was thinking if there are any clever design modification which can be done to counter the issue I have?

Edited by Zak S

@Alan AmbroseHad a chat with a supplier and was told 4-6k per curtain. They can do 10x6m which might be slightly more expensive.  I think the key is to get through BCO so might be worth having a chat with BCO Initially to get their view (someone helpfully suggested earlier).

Also please could the helpful readers provide the feedback on the option of using combination of charred timber plus zinc/aluminium shingles on the left v only charred timber based on the pics below.

3d render of charred timber all round seems better but it might be just because it's 3d view but it reality the addition of shingle might give a bit of character. Please also note the difference in porch glazing in the two pictures.

I am also considering the idea of cladding only on thr front and might cover the sides with render or brick due to cost conisderation. Thoughts on that would also be welcome.

Screenshot_20240515_115417_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240417_075410_WhatsApp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So far we have had three quotes of fire curtain. Fire Curtains seems very expensive and low in terms of value add compared to ptotected fire escape staircase. The plan image above with protected fire escape staircase seems to be best option and still give us decent amount of space. 

We have visited few projects with gallery views and open plan living space as well as dual height ceilings.  These buildings are way above standard houses in terms of wow factor. Overall we are quite happy with the concept and the design. 

Many thanks to everyone here for highlighting very important points. These have been of great help.

Edited by Zak S