Council Induced Damp Problems!

Laurence737

Hi Everyone,

we are trying to resolve some damp/efflorescence issues with our 1860’s property.

we are getting high damp readings and efflorescence on our external road facing wall, I think the problems stem from the fact that the council put in a small pathway abutting the external wall and laid asphalt between the house and kerb, this has raised the level against the wall and is causing water to sit in the gap between the asphalt and brickwork resulting in the wall

being constantly wet.

we also have an enclosed gulley that may be adding to the problems.

What would be the best solution for this, I imagine cutting a drainage gulley in front of the brickwork? But guess this would have to be a gravel soakaway? As the air brick surrounds would block a dedicated drainage channel? I would also like to remove the enclosed gulley and replace it with an open one that is easier to check for blockages/clean, is this a viable idea? I also think that we have some concrete pointing in the brickwork, would it be worth the time/money to get this removed and repointed?  Thanks a lot for any feedback/advice!

IMG_0432.jpeg

If by 'gravel soakaway' you mean a French drain, they only really work with a perforated pipe at the bottom *and an exit*. A French drain without an exit is arguably a moat.

Your text suggests a newly-laid path, but the pic suggests a not-newly-laid path. Can you clarify? How much have they raised the level?

48 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

they only really work with a perforated pipe at the bottom

Not always, when I built on solid yellow clay and Installed French drains I was advised by a local expert NOT to put a perforated pipe at the bottom as they tend to block more quickly than stone.

49 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

A French drain without an exit is arguably a moat.

Yes, the water needs to go somewhere.

Where is your DPC, if the council have raised the path level within 150mm of your DPC they are responsible for your damp issue. It’s not your path to start cutting drainage channels in. 

We’re not sure when the path was laid but it has been there a while (as has the damp and efflourescence) I’m not sure there is a DPC installed as it was originally a brick built church hall (1860 built) The path has raised up around a course of bricks.

hard to tell but it looks like some repointing has happened in cement mortar, this will trap water in and force it through the inside. very common with 9" solid walls which yours almost certainly is from that period. Check its all lime for starters.

May have a slate dpc but unlikely, our 1899 has nothing including no footing.

Brickwork should resist being soaked and dry out, if water cannot escape through the front due to modern cement it will go through to the inside.

On 23/03/2024 at 18:57, saveasteading said:

Do I see an air brick or two? If so they seem very low and water could be running in.

yes, it looks like the brick surrounds of the air bricks were put in to keep them exposed when they installed the pavement. 

On 23/03/2024 at 07:42, Dave Jones said:

hard to tell but it looks like some repointing has happened in cement mortar, this will trap water in and force it through the inside. very common with 9" solid walls which yours almost certainly is from that period. Check its all lime for starters.

May have a slate dpc but unlikely, our 1899 has nothing including no footing.

Brickwork should resist being soaked and dry out, if water cannot escape through the front due to modern cement it will go through to the inside.

Yes we can’t see any evidence of a DPC on any of the other walls, if I tried to remove the cement mortar and repointed in lime

would this be a better solution that trying to fix the ground based problem?

and yes it is 9” solid brick