Anyone used Alloy Aluminium Splashback?

I'd  be interested to hear from anyone who has used - or someone who has - Alloy Aluminium Splashback instead of tiles in the kitchen. 

https://www.bushboard.co.uk/product-overview-alloy

It is available for putting just behind the hob or as a long strip along the wall instead of tiles or an upstand (3000mm long).

The online info looks great and people in 3 different kitchen showrooms have enthused about it - including the fact they say you can bend it 90 degrees to go around "obstacles" like the structural pillar that we have along one of the walls.

And would be easy to keep clean.

But I haven't found a kitchen installer who has used it. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Oh no!  Not what I wanted to hear!!

One of the guys in a Kitchen Showroom showed me pictures on his phone of his own kitchen with the cheaper non-aluminium Alloy Splashback.  He thought it was great.

Really though - Is there nothing good to say about this product??  Which is not cheap!

I am sick of discoloured grout on tiles.

(Thanks for your feedback.  Much appreciated.)

16 minutes ago, KitchenPotcher said:

I am sick of discoloured grout on tiles.

So use a darker grout colour and seal it properly. We have tiles and the grout still looks great, although it has only had 2 years of use.  
our grout is 3mm thick, made by Fugabella. More expensive than Mapei but better in my opinion.

Edited by Adsibob

Yeah, lots of options instead of tiles - glass, stainless, thin-ish granite / quartz etc - all not too expensive. A popular thing when we did our kitchen was glass with brightly coloured paint on the back.

If you are really bothered by grout lines, you order one giant format tile, I’ve seen them as big as 3.2m by 1.6m and have them cut at the factory so that they are supplied in strips, say 65cm by whatever length your wall is. In this way, you would have at most one grout line, and you could arrange the joints to be far away from your cooking area.

marazzi grande is the range I had in mind. We used this for our shower area and it can put really well. 

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

We had an alloy splashback in our commercial kitchen.

Was terrible.

Go stainless steel if you must go metallic. 

Stainless steel as a splashback along a wall?  Sounds interesting but who sells this? 

17 minutes ago, KitchenPotcher said:

Stainless steel as a splashback along a wall?  Sounds interesting but who sells this? 

“Interesting” indeed - that is if you want your kitchen to look like a takeaway shop.

image.jpeg.71f210371fe5940d9f9523c194fdb7c7.jpeg

Edited by Adsibob

18 hours ago, Adsibob said:

So use a darker grout colour and seal it properly. We have tiles and the grout still looks great, although it has only had 2 years of use.  
our grout is 3mm thick, made by Fugabella. More expensive than Mapei but better in my opinion.

Thanks for the recommendation of this grout.  Perhaps I'd better look for some tiles that I like! 

We are having a laminate worktop (only a small kitchen and trying to keep the cost down especially because we are not sure when we might need to move).  Although I like the look of a solid big splashback along the wall - I really don't like the look of laminate there.  That's why the Alloy splashback seemed a brilliant idea.

19 hours ago, Adsibob said:

6 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

“Interesting” indeed - that is if you want your kitchen to look like a takeaway shop.

Ha ha - I take your point.  As a child, I used to live nextdoor to a chip shop.

I'm with @KitchenPotcher on the manky tile grout! I like your Bushboard idea! Possibly cheaper / homemade ideas ...

I bought a sheet of roofing zinc (and cut it up) for behind my kitchen sink and range cooker in my kitchen years ago and it worked for 10 years. Cheap and cheerful. Not perfect like stainless steel but was ok for me - tarnished but I seem to recall being able to clean it.

I currently have glass splashbacks - I went to local glass shop and got them made to measure with 4 screw holes in the corners. I should have sealed them along the top edge.

I also bought some made to measure stainless steel shelves and window ledge (they were actually supposed to be s/steel splashbacks) from https://www.stainlessdirectuk.com/. I'd recommend this company but don't know how pricey it would be if you want a really long splashback. Made to measure and you can choose thickness. My S/steel still looks new after 15 years (when I clean it).

I've also used sheets made from recycled plastic bottles from https://smile-plastics.com/samples/ in my bathrooms to avoid grout. Not suitable for behind a hob! But again this stuff seems to be indestructible and still looks new.