What activities can I do while waiting for planning permission?

Planning permission for our new build has been applied for and we're now awaiting the decision which, due to being in a National Park and the planning team being run of their feet, could take a while.

We've already done the bat/wildlife/ecology/tree surveys, had a percolation test done, and all the topographic bits are sorted.

While we have the basic house design my architect has suggested we leave the detailed structural design phase until we hear back from the planners in case any changes are required.

I'm attending shows, doing research on various bits of equipment we're planning to use and putting together some basic Gantt charts to follow the build but I still feel that I'm not maximising activity that will help smooth the build process and speed it up.

What else can I be doing in the intervening period to keep things moving forward?

image.png

Ground clearance. You know cutting down brambles, trimming hedges, trees.

Marking out for what you know will be built if planning is approved.

Work out where materials will be stored when onsite 

Make sure your site access is as clear and wide as possible

18 hours ago, Pocster said:

No neighbors to annoy ?

Trying to do the opposite - access to the site is quite tight so need to keep sweet with them as favours wil undoubtedly be needed...

Are your neighbours happy with your plans? I went round and showed them the drawings, hoping that if there were any major concerns they could be addressed so that changes wouldn’t be needed later. There are stories of people occasionally saying they are happy and then objecting, but most people aren’t like that.

Keeping the place smart and tidy won’t do any harm, and you could think about the garden and which plants you could keep/relocate.  It can help soften the ‘building site chic’ vibe that you will be left with at the end.  

Edited by Jilly

17 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

Ground clearance. You know cutting down brambles, trimming hedges, trees.

Marking out for what you know will be built if planning is approved.

Work out where materials will be stored when onsite 

Make sure your site access is as clear and wide as possible

Site access is going to be our big issue - two tight 90 degree turns to get in.  I'm going to approach the neighbour regarding access cross their part of our shared drive area but leaving that until a bit closer to the time when I have a better idea of exactly what's required.

As far as site clearance is concerned the area is all laid to lawn at the moment so not sure my wife would be happy with me practicing my trenching skills until absolutely necessary.  It's also the dog's playground and he gets muddy enough without me adding to the mess!

We have plenty of space on site for materials but - because of the access issues - I'm also considering hiring an industrial unit further up the lane as a staging point.  We can get smaller trucks on to site but Artics won't be able to make it but they can get to the industrial place about quarter of a mile down the lane.  If they can unload there then I can shuttle stuff back and forth with a trailer or van.  Not ideal but probabky going to be necessary.

2 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Are your neighbours happy with your plans? I went round and showed them the drawings, hoping that if there were any major concerns they could be addressed so that changes wouldn’t be needed later. There are stories of people occasionally saying they are happy and then objecting, but most people aren’t like that. 

Generally yes.  They all seem supportive but have a few minor issues which they've raised formally.  Annoyingly the planning process is pretty binary in choice so they had to tick 'object' to raise minor points but then also added in 'we support the build in principle'.  Also, from a legal/planning perspective their comments don't carry much weight so hopefully won't be too important.

Amusingly, one of our neighbours is a horse stables.  They've asked that we should be forced to maintain a 6' fence around the property as '...people playing in the garden might spook the horses in their field'!  These are the same horses they take out on the narrow lanes around us...

22 minutes ago, Bancroft said:

Trying to do the opposite - access to the site is quite tight so need to keep sweet with them as favours wil undoubtedly be needed...

Good luck with that . Sweetness can descend into bitterness with neighbors quite swiftly on a build .

3 hours ago, Bancroft said:

Entrance is an existing shared entrance to three existing properties so hopefully ok.

if your plot is not benefitting from an existing access they will apply the new highways rules that you will have to meet, splays etc. Very hard to pass and a lot of existing streets wouldnt pass them.

20 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

if your plot is not benefitting from an existing access they will apply the new highways rules that you will have to meet, splays etc. Very hard to pass and a lot of existing streets wouldnt pass them.

The new house is being built in the garden of the existing house so hopefully that will be taken into account.

17 hours ago, twice round the block said:

Sort out a landscaping plan if you haven't done one already. 

Yes, this is going to be interesting.  We had to have an ecology survey done to demonstrate how we would increase biodiversity by a minimum of 10%.  As a result we've had to put in a fairly detailed plan already showing where we're adding native hedges, planting fruit trees and adding wildflower gardens.  However, we aim to live in the existing house while we build the new one then demolish the old house on completion to create our new driveway.  It's going to be an interesting time when it comes to reclaiming vat as the demolition and landscaping is going to take time (and quite a chunk of money) and I understand there is a time limit for the vat reclaim...

13 minutes ago, Bancroft said:

demolition and landscaping is going to take time (and quite a chunk of money) and I understand there is a time limit

So demo yes you will be waiting a long time for a rebate. But if you use a vat registered company you are only paying them 5%.

Landscaping you might choose to buy the plants in and heel them into the ground short term, and get the claim in.

Make sure all your  landscaping/ fencing etc. is part of the planning permission.

• Like 1

Plan, plan, plan. Create wish lists, by the time I built I knew exactly what I wanted and where (not easy for everyone I know), nothing worse than having to make a snap decision (then finding it wrong).

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Plan, plan, plan. Create wish lists, by the time I built I knew exactly what I wanted and where (not easy for everyone I know), nothing worse than having to make a snap decision (then finding it wrong).

+1 THIS,  now is the time to overthink things, make lists & decisions -  sleep on them - and re-visit and simplify a few times before finalising.

It's going to be much cheaper now than after contractors are on board.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bancroft said:

The new house is being built in the garden of the existing house so hopefully that will be taken into account.

We built in the garden of the existing bungalow and had a new driveway position and highways weren't worried.