SunAmp PVs going spare / scrap

My plumber is going to commission my new OSO UVC on Tuesday.  At that point I will have 2 × SunAmp PVs going spare either to give away to someone who is interested or to scrap.

One is fully working and is used as our main HW system until this Monday.  The other one died (thermo failure on the PCM heating loop?) but is a good source of spares and should be repairable if you know what you are doing.  I am willing to give them away as-is, without any warranty from me to anyone willing to pick them up / arrange collection.

Alternatively if no one is interested that it's a case of scrapping them.   Any suggestions on disposal?  

Edited by TerryE

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Go add them to the pile mate.

I can remember the days, not that long ago, when I put in my new DHW cylinder and you tried to convince me to get a SA.

As much as I like the idea of a phase change water storage device, I dislike unproven technology, and the price was, and still is, silly.

@Nickfromwales, the cells in the dead one are blown so it is defo scrap.  I can't see anyone wanting the working one unless they've already got one and want spares / cold swap.  I thought I'd ask.

@SteamyTea Nick, the concept is great, but as a friend summarised it: you've got a case of early-adopters curse.

• Like 1

It is sad that the Sun Amps have ended up this way.  Right from the start I liked the concept, but not the price.  I also did not like the idea it was pretty much direct electric heating, i.e. no way to heat from an ASHP.

Then as time rolled on and some people had problems it became apparent the engineering had some "room for improvement"

Posted (edited)

In terms of scrapping, the unit comprises three waste types: recyclable metals; e waste; the 2 × PCM cells. 

The cells are the only issue that needs some thought.   There is a plastic "jerrycan" containing a copper pipe and heat exchanger fins flood filled with PCM salt. 

Given that the phase change is at ~60°C, the salt is almost certainly the cheapest and most commonly used, Sodium Acetate Trihydrate, which has an actual phase change at 58 °C. Since this is an inorganic salt comprising Sodium, Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen, it can be safely included in a general waste stream (our black bins).  The copper can be recycled. 

Does anyone care to dissent? 

@Novice, @Cooeyswell @D_T, @oranjeboom you guys were / are SunAmp PV adopters.  Any comments?

Edited by TerryE

16 hours ago, TerryE said:

In terms of scrapping, the unit comprises three waste types: recyclable metals; e waste; the 2 × PCM cells. 

The cells are the only issue that needs some thought.   There is a plastic "jerrycan" containing a copper pipe and heat exchanger fins flood filled with PCM salt. 

Given that the phase change is at ~60°C, the salt is almost certainly the cheapest and most commonly used, Sodium Acetate Trihydrate, which has an actual phase change at 58 °C. Since this is an inorganic salt comprising Sodium, Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen, it can be safely included in a general waste stream (our black bins).  The copper can be recycled. 

Does anyone care to dissent? 

@Novice, @Cooeyswell @D_T, @oranjeboom you guys were / are SunAmp PV adopters.  Any comments?

I'm in much the same situation regarding scrappage.

The jerrycans are currently sat under a workbench in the garage but I can't see me using them again so they need to go. I guess the practical thing to do is to cut them up and separate the waste for recycling. Sunamp confirmed the use of food grade Sodium Acetate Trihydrate and its recyclability a couple of years ago (also its use in salt and vinegar crisps) so no issues there.

I would consider whether you can make use of the vacuum insulation panels before you discard them. They are relatively expensive and hard to come by. I have reused the steel case and the vacuum insulation panels to insulate my new LFP battery system.

The rest is mainly e-waste and can be recycled.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, the pallet with 2×SunAmps is no more.  I now have a small pile of steel scrap, a smaller pile of copper scrap, a small pot of eWaste and as with @Cooeyswell a row of 4×SAT Cells and a stack of vacuum panels.

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TerryE said:

Well, the pallet with 2×SunAmps is no more.  I now have a small pile of steel scrap, a smaller pile of copper scrap, a small pot of eWaste and as with @Cooeyswell a row of 4×SAT Cells and a stack of vacuum panels.

Hi Terry, 

Looks as though I am too late - I would have been interested in the working unit as mine are of the same ilk and I probably would have driven up to collect. Alas...

1 hour ago, oranjeboom said:

Looks as though I am too late

Aaaagh.  Literally hours to late, but seriously if you have a SunAmp PV and want a spare then resurrecting one is straightforward plumbing if you have the energy / inclination.  I would far sooner it go to another member than scrap.  Also if you need to extend the operating life that you'd probably want various spares like a couple control boards, inline heater, PMW pump, etc. 

Jan put some of the foam in the black bin.  If you are interested @orangeboom then let me know by return and I'll sort out a complete set of bits tomorrow.   

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I wonder if they could be repurposed to store waste energy.

I've got ~150 Kg of food grade  Sodium Acetate Trihydrate  to get rid of -- assuming Orangeboon doesn't want to take a couple off cells my hands. It can happily go down the drain in small quantities.  I was wondering how good a block paving cleaner / weed deterrent it would be. 🤣 

Edited by TerryE

22 hours ago, TerryE said:

I've got ~150 Kg of food grade  Sodium Acetate Trihydrate  to get rid of -- assuming Orangeboon doesn't want to take a couple off cells my hands. It can happily go down the drain in small quantities.  I was wondering how good a block paving cleaner / weed deterrent it would be. 🤣 

I have weeds and grubby paving - let me know how this works out

23 hours ago, TerryE said:

weed deterrent

32 minutes ago, Cooeyswell said:

let me know how this works out

May stabilise the temperature to the ideal growing conditions.

Get some hemp seeds (Trill bird food) and see how well it works.

Edited by SteamyTea