Any starlink users here? How do you find its reliability?

We have FTTC cabinet connection, alot of the time its OK we get about 60Mbps, but some evenings the bandwidth slows to a crawl, presumably when everyone in the village is utilising HD streaming etc.

Speeds and breif tests I have done on some starlink networks seem good, but having never "lived" with it, I would appreciate some real world/long term opinions.

We would not be using the starlink router etc as we have pre wired routing and WiFi already, so its just the reliability and average performances of the connection I am interested in, thanks.

Following. We’ve just strung the cable onto our roof as OpenReach are delaying our FFTP connection.  We will also be  bypassing the router to plug into our Ubiquiti USG.   Will be a couple of months before we switch on.

Yeah, I have it.  Previous was FTTC with a copper cable that managed about 16Mb DL on a good day.  Average between 120-200Mb, and latency between 25-40ms.  Son plays fortnite on his XBOX and doesnt scream about  lagging now, so all is good.

Bought the refurb kit in December at 50%.  Have bypassed, and connected to my own LAN.

I'm not in the new build yet, but am debating on running some conduit with the Starlink cable down to where my rack will be, I do need to think about what changes there will be with Starlink, hardware and how they connect in the future, as its a bit non standard, and the cable run will be completely closed up.

Migrated the landline telephone service to A&A.  So the Openreach cable can go in the bin for all I care now!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

the cable run will be completely closed up

HANDY HINT: When you run the conduit leave a LOOP of nylon string in the conduit to pull new cable should they be required in the future. Or just one length of string, and if you pull a new cable, pull a replacement piece of string through at the same time 🙂

The first Starlink we installed at Christmas crapped out. My son called them on a Weds night. A guy called back from Starlink in the US pretty much as my lad hit send on the email. Customer service was amazing. Complete new kit arrived on the Friday morning. By way of apology they gave us a month's free subscription. Sent the old router and dish back on prepaid DHL. They said to hang onto the new long cable (circa £80 worth).

Then the other week it just "stopped" a quick phone calll and they fixed it there and then.

Price has come down massively since Christmas.

You can also rent, about a tenner a month rental plus the £75pcm.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Starlink, hardware and how they connect in the future, as its a bit non standard,

This looks like it might solve a problem...  Then I can just run a cheaper ethernet cable to the endpoint.

image.thumb.png.205536b9ee736c1018e54437a391255f.png

We’ve had Starlink for two years. It’s been brilliant. Very reliable so much so I’ve installed it for a few friends. 

I’m a believer in building in redundancy so have multiple cable runs to cater for extra requirements or failed cables. I’ve also ducted everything so that I could pull all the cable out and replace if necessary. In my case I’ve installed the dish on the garage so the Starlink poe cable comes into the garage through a duct and connects to the Starlink ethernet adapter which then connects to the Starlink router. The ethernet adapter then connects to my network. The Starlink router is in bridge mode so is just powering the dish. If I needed to replace the Starlink dish with a different system it’s easy enough to pull another cable through. 

I will eventually ditch the Starlink router completely as it’s quite power hungry and power the dish in a different way. 

Edited by Kelvin

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

I will eventually ditch the Starlink router completely as it’s quite power hungry and power the dish in a different way. 

+1. It ate into my UPS pretty damn quick compared to the old BT router. It was cold outside so I guess it was heating the dish to keep the frost/ice off.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

What's bridge mode?

Also called bypass mode. You switch off the network routing capability of the Starlink router so all it’s doing is powering the dish. You can then use a third party router of your choice for the extra functionality you might need. In my case it was to use my mesh networking system. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I just came across this. Unverified. 

Out of the box Starlink consumes 120-150 watts. With a DC conversion the consumption drops to 36-72 watts.Jul 17, 2023

In the house it’s possibly not such a big deal but folk use them on their motorhomes/boats so it’s a reasonable power saving. 

Edited by Kelvin

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Is there any advantage in fitting fibre cable between the elements and as distribution? If there is, is it a diy job?

Not really and it’s harder to terminate. 

12 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Out of the box Starlink consumes 120-150 watts. With a DC conversion the consumption drops to 36-72 watts

Let us call it, at best, a mean of 50W.

0.05 [kW] x 8760 [hours] = 440 kWh/year.

That is a 13% increase on my usage (~3,300 kWh/year).

Or, to look at it another way, 10 gallons of diesel, nearly 700 miles, or an extra trip to see my Mother.

I just done a speed check and got this, does not seem so bad.

image.png.e1591380e630b262b4fd5eba0bd346e9.png