Another switch question

Pocster

These bloody ‘smart’ switches !

So the dumb switch currently installed just has 2 lives .

I *assume* this new switch doesn’t need neutral ?  ( but diagram suggests it does )

So where do I put the other live ? . In the neutral slot or P ? ( what’s P refer to ? , why’s neutral not got a nice N on it )

IMG_9308.jpeg

IMG_9309.jpeg

What do you mean your switch has "2 lives"  is it part of 2 way switching?  L loop through?  Post a picture of your existing switch as wired.

That smart switch does not need a N just L in and switched L out.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What do you mean your switch has "2 lives"  is it part of 2 way switching?  L loop through?  Post a picture of your existing switch as wired.

That smart switch does not need a N just L in and switched L out.

Sorry; what I meant is current switch is a simple affair i.e. 2 brown lives that complete in the switch - there is a neutral but it's not used.

This new switch has a L but also a P and "squiggle" symbol. So which of those is L out? ; think that's what I'm asking.

Your new switch L is L in, and squigle is switched L out.  P is for interconnecting multiple pushbuttons, I suspect you are not using that function so ignore it.

Your challenge now is which of your 2 brown wires is the L in and which is the L out.  You will need some kind of tester to determine that, multimeter or some form of voltage tester.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Your new switch L is L in, and squigle is switched L out.  P is for interconnecting multiple pushbuttons, I suspect you are not using that function so ignore it.

Your challenge now is which of your 2 brown wires is the L in and which is the L out.  You will need some kind of tester to determine that, multimeter or some form of voltage tester.

Ok . So squiggle is L out .

If I get them round the wrong way ; what will happen ? 🙄.

Do I test each L against the neutral to determine which is which ? ( out of my limited knowledge depth here ) .

edit: with power off !

Edited by Pocster
Bang !

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

One brown wire should go into a hole marked com or something like that on the old switch and the other into a hole marked 1. The one in com is the live.  Often there is one hole on it's own on a switch and 2 others side by side. The one on it's own which should be marked com or L is the live one.  But be careful.

Simon

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Pocster said:

If I get them round the wrong way ; what will happen ?

Also, if you get them wrong way round, the new switch may not work as it won't have a live going in.  But maybe you'll test that hypothesis for us  ;-D

Simon

Just now, Bramco said:

Also, if you get them wrong way round, the new switch may not work as it won't have a live going in.  But maybe you'll test that hypothesis for us  ;-D

Simon

I don't mind it not working if I get it round the wrong way. But will something go bang and I shit myself?

I'm still confused on the no neutral thing (I didn't realise this switch didn't need a neutral ).

With no neutral and the switch off it won't be powered and therefore surely can't report or be controlled via Zigbee?

But if neutral is connected ( where too? ) then it is 'powered' and so acts like a smart switch correctly?

No understand. Switch is neutral free. Destructions show neutral connected to squiggle ( why a squiggle?; what's it meant to represent - not seen that before ). - confusion

hate electrics - so dangerous.. I might send it back

Edited by Pocster
updating my will

You need to determine which of the browns is live, with light off test each against neutral or earth .. with a meter or tester, not by shorting!  As Joe says, it should be bottom one but not necessarily 

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

(expletive deleted) it . 50/50 chance . I’ll just wire “ as I see fit “ ( said that to a judge once when I was caught with scrotum clips to a car battery in the local park ) .

Don't assume the one in COM is L feed.  There is an equal argument for putting L feed into L1 for 1 way switching.

The switch probably works by harvesting a tiny amount of power through the L-Sw connection and a tiny current passing through the "off" light.  In which case it probably does not know and will probably work either way.

But really, it makes me shudder anyone doing ANYTHING on electrics without something to test for live, or more important test for dead.  I am old school (and some will flame me) but I have a motto "Never touch anything that my neon screwdriver has not touched first.  If you really must use a volt stick instead, then make SURE every use you test your volt stick on a known live wire.  The other mantra is "test your tester, test for dead, test your tester again.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Don't assume the one in COM is L feed.  There is an equal argument for putting L feed into L1 for 1 way switching.

The switch probably works by harvesting a tiny amount of power through the L-Sw connection and a tiny current passing through the "off" light.  In which case it probably does not know and will probably work either way.

But really, it makes me shudder anyone doing ANYTHING on electrics without something to test for live, or more important test for dead.  I am old school (and some will flame me) but I have a motto "Never touch anything that my neon screwdriver has not touched first.  If you really must use a volt stick instead, then make SURE every use you test your volt stick on a known live wire.  The other mantra is "test your tester, test for dead, test your tester again.

Ok . I listen to your point - I really do !

How should I test each “ live “ to see which it is . Preferably with circuit off ; or is that not possible ?. 

1 minute ago, Pocster said:

Ok . I listen to your point - I really do !

How should I test each “ live “ to see which it is . Preferably with circuit off ; or is that not possible ?. 

Circuit off both L wires out of the switch R1+R2 test.  I bet that you stumped.  

So with circuit off, connect ONE of the brown wires to earth at the switch, go to the consumer unit and measure resistance from the (isolated) circuit L to E  If you get a very low reading, then the brown you have joined to E is the feed.  Then go and swap over so the other one is connected to E at the switch (and the first one floating) and see what the resistance L to E is at the consumer unit.

Whichever one when connected to E gives the very low ohms reading is the feed.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Circuit off both L wires out of the switch R1+R2 test.  I bet that you stumped.  

So with circuit off, connect ONE of the brown wires to earth at the switch, go to the consumer unit and measure resistance from the (isolated) circuit L to E  If you get a very low reading, then the brown you have joined to E is the feed.  Then go and swap over so the other one is connected to E at the switch (and the first one floating) and see what the resistance L to E is at the consumer unit.

Whichever one when connected to E gives the very low ohms reading is the feed.

Yeah ; as I’m out my depth completely I won’t be doing any of that .

Whats the worst that can happen getting Live round the wrong way ? 🙄😫