Possibility for a bedroom?

I am trying to work out from the drawing below.   Where the floor level would be upstairs and how much head height is available.  I think there is enough room to get a bedroom in the loft space, but not sure what size and headroom.

Not sure if anyone with any knowledge might be able to provide an idea.

image.thumb.png.5e25f7cece2d7a2679a54fb6e40b38fe.png

You would need a more detailed plan that that. And some actual measurements of the dimensions inside the existing loft.

The critical think is the staircase.  A staircase, and the "landing" must have a headroom of 2 metres.  Oddly enough building regs don't stipulate a headroom limit for a bedroom.

So think where you could put a staircase that is both practical and meets that headroom requirement.

The actual available height will probably be less than you measure in a bare loft, as you will likely need to increase the floor joists size, and insulation will reduce some of the ceiling height.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

You would need a more detailed plan that that. And some actual measurements of the dimensions inside the existing loft.

The critical think is the staircase.  A staircase, and the "landing" must have a headroom of 2 metres.  Oddly enough building regs don't stipulate a headroom limit for a bedroom.

So think where you could put a staircase that is both practical and meets that headroom requirement.

The actual available height will probably be less than you measure in a bare loft, as you will likely need to increase the floor joists size, and insulation will reduce some of the ceiling height.

This is a new dwelling, and I currently only have the drawings used for the planning application.  Stairwell is no problem as the ground floor has been designed so that the stairs enter into the upper floor space in the middle of the floor.   

You can take a very rough punt and say that the top of those doors is 2100 high, you then need 300mm above those to ceiling height 2400 then 300mm for floor thickness, enlarge that drawing up and do a rough scale. 

looks to me like that room will be a tiny triangle without adding a large dormer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flanagaj said:

This is a new dwelling, and I currently only have the drawings used for the planning application.  Stairwell is no problem as the ground floor has been designed so that the stairs enter into the upper floor space in the middle of the floor.   

New by who?  Big developer or individual builder?

Has it actually been designed from the outset to have rooms in the loft?  If so you might be lucky and find it is built with attic trusses.  That is quite common up here to build bungalows with attic trusses to make loft conversion much easier.  What other drawings are on the council website? Can you access building regs drawings that might show a lot more detail?

18 hours ago, flanagaj said:

I am trying to work out from the drawing below.   Where the floor level would be upstairs and how much head height is available.  I think there is enough room to get a bedroom in the loft space, but not sure what size and headroom.

Not sure if anyone with any knowledge might be able to provide an idea.

image.thumb.png.5e25f7cece2d7a2679a54fb6e40b38fe.png

@flanagaj a couple of thoughts on this question, as I understand it from other posts you are (potentially) purchasing a building plot with pp approved for the above design. I also see you have asked questions about alternative layouts ,plinths and room in roof possibilities. 

Forgive me if this sounds rather obvious but you have brought a piece of land with pp for the house above but you don't have to build that house , you can build whatever you want as long as the planning department approve it .

You cannot lose the right to build the design sold with the land as long as you start within 3 years so if the design is not quite right for you now is the time to ask a few questions re-sumit and change it . 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Buzz said:

@flanagaj a couple of thoughts on this question, as I understand it from other posts you are (potentially) purchasing a building plot with pp approved for the above design. I also see you have asked questions about alternative layouts ,plinths and room in roof possibilities. 

Forgive me if this sounds rather obvious but you have brought a piece of land with pp for the house above but you don't have to build that house , you can build whatever you want as long as the planning department approve it .

You cannot lose the right to build the design sold with the land as long as you start within 3 years so if the design is not quite right for you now is the time to ask a few questions re-sumit and change it . 

Fair point.  Once we have exchanged then I am going to engage with an architect to see whether our ideas are viable.  Just not sure how receptive the LPA will be to large scale changes. 

2 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

Fair point.  Once we have exchanged then I am going to engage with an architect to see whether our ideas are viable.  Just not sure how receptive the LPA will be to large scale changes. 

To be honest I would contact the architect who's name is on the approved plans before I exchanged and sound them out about making changes, you should get a very good understanding of what scope the planners gave them or what hoops they had to jump through to get the original plans through. 

At least then when you sign on the dotted line you know exactly what you are buying.  

• Like 2