Advice on repairing a old chimney and bothy with lime mortar

Tapster

We have recently moved to rural Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Our property has two steadings and a bothy.

You can see the dilapidated end of one of the steadings in the photo. We call this one Mordor as it is the steading from hell which we can't use for fear of death from falling masonry; it's a project for another day and another bank account! 

Please see attached photos.

The bothy is the issue for today. The pointing is in a terrible state: a mixture of very eroded hundred-year-old lime mortar and newer sand and cement repairs. The advice from a local roofer/mason is to rake it all out and replace it with lime mortar. The mason's estimate for the work was way beyond my budget, but he guaranteed it for a hundred years!!! I haven't done work like this before but the resources are all there on the internet, so I'll do it this year. 

What I'd like advice on, please, is how to repair the chimney stack. Let's assume that I might use it as a chimney sometime in the future.

Crows have nested in the chimney stack and in the end wall of the bothy. They cleverly removed mortar to create access. You can see right through the chimney stack in one of the photos. There are quite large voids to be filled before the outer faces can be pointed. The stack has weathered three severe wind storms in the last twelve months but it won't last forever in its present state. The mason recommended that I collect stones to fill these voids but I don't know how to do the repair with these stones. If I place stones inside the voids, do I just cover them in mortar to secure them and restore the inside shape of the chimney, then build the chimney back out of the hole? How do I finish the outer faces?

Please help!! Many thanks for any contributions.

Bothyjob-before-small(1).thumb.jpg.f0a2759e155fdd264cc1c1efae392d8b.jpgBothyjob-before-small(2).thumb.jpg.4261f855a6f1efd442d2ff82681a071f.jpgBothyjob-before-small(3).thumb.jpg.456a40b36ed9d8f2a1dde0bc64dca93b.jpgBothyjob-before-small(5).thumb.jpg.b7e8e445184c5ac98687d4fdd90ea33c.jpgBothyjob-before-small(6).thumb.jpg.70e564ea0b2d613b81900cae6451cbb1.jpg

Get a wire brush and screwdriver and rake out some of the old mortar at ground level. 

Then a bucket of lime mortar, a small trowel and some gloves and have a go at repointing yourself. 

It's not rocket science. 

By the time you get to the chimney you'll be plenty proficient to make a tidy job of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the very useful advice ...
Now, do I need to buy a small cement mixer for a job like this or can I easily make multiple mixes by hand/shovel?
If I'm doing this job on and off, over weeks, how helpful will a small mixer be?

2 minutes ago, Tapster said:

can I easily make multiple mixes by hand/shovel?

Yes. Pointing doesn't take large quantities so I'd do it by hand, otherwise you may spend more time moving the mixer and cleaning it than actually mixing anything.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Mike .... secondhand mixers seem to be around 200 quid in these parts; that's a bit much for me.

Lime mortar seems quite forgiving, so mixes will last a few days, meaning I can mix more each time and not have it go hard. Yay!

............. and, er, incomplete/ incompetent mixing doesn't matter too much??

Edited by Tapster

1 hour ago, Tapster said:

mixes will last a few days

No. The lime for granite is the hardest grade, and it doesn't keep overnight. 

Your local BM should know the grade  for your sandstone if it is a local product.

However, I read that unless there is a quarry nearby, it is as likely to have come in by ship.

22 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Do you mean that granite should use nhl5?

I can’t see why 3.5 wouldn’t be fine and that certainly will knock up next day in this weather

On 18/02/2024 at 17:58, jfb said:
On 17/02/2024 at 19:05, saveasteading said:

Do you mean that granite should use nhl5?

I can’t see why 3.5 wouldn’t be fine and that certainly will knock up next day in this weather

Mine's softish sandstone, so I'll be looking for a softer mortar by the sound of it. Any suggestions?

Just googled this…..Type N Mortar Mix

It is considered to be a general-purpose mix, useful for above grade, exterior, and interior load-bearing installations. It is also the preferred mortar mix for soft stone masonry (such as limestone). Type N is the mortar most often used by homeowners and is the best choice for general application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d use 3.5 nhl with sharp sand mixed at ratio 1:3.

dont make it too wet. Push it into the joints and don’t worry about leaving excess around the joint. Next day (or when it has dried a bit) compact with tool/bit of wood and clear off any excess. Then use a churn brush (or softer) to do a final brush over.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hughgo12 said:

Few snips from drawings - standard regurgitated spec but can be useful 

Great, thank you!

The precise technique details are particularly helpful.

😄

That's interesting to read. The addition of stones to large gaps makes sense, as does max 10mm if thy are hard stone.  Wouldn't it be best to use a piece of stone recovered from the building, ie the same strength? or to make up some aggregate from recovered stone?

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

That's interesting to read. The addition of stones to large gaps makes sense, as does max 10mm if thy are hard stone.  Wouldn't it be best to use a piece of stone recovered from the building, ie the same strength? or to make up some aggregate from recovered stone?

Originally it probably would have been whatever was dug up locally.
Lime mortar is supposed to be sacrificial and compressible strength properties are not that important, unlike cement mortar which is desired for its compressible strength and hard wearing ability.

1 hour ago, Hughgo12 said:

Lime mortar is supposed to be sacrificial and compressible

That's why I thought that using the same sandstone it could also crush or crack rather than stress the main masonry blocks.