Registering a new address

BC has advised me to contact the land registry to register our self build 

I was pretty sure I did it via the post office last time Wondering what others have done 

17 minutes ago, Susie said:

Post office for address, this let’s the emergency services etc know you exist land registry can be anytime e.g. when you sell or decide to split land   

Brilliant 

Thank you 

I was pretty sure that we used the post office last time 

Do you k ow if this can be done online ?

Not here it's not, it's local council.  PO won't take instruction on a new address from Jo Public.  Which is why our new house is now on every address database except the PO.

We had to register with the council who then approved the address (no street numbers just a house name). Once approved,  They then released that information to post office, emergency services, etc etc.   

Postcode Finder: Report an incorrect or missing address

I think if you search the above term, it’s on the Royal Mail website. 
still waking up but I remember the needing a post box requirement which we have, but nothing else. 

We did ours last year as well. It was the District Council that had a form to fill and cost £175. They notify the Post Office who issue a postcode. That then feeds most address databases. It seems some services/retailers don't update their database very often and we occasionally find the address missing, but that's less common now after 6 months.

Sorry I was wrong, as others have said

First its the local council see below copied from my planning permission letter, this is before the build, 

Registering addresses for new properties prior to commencement

You must apply officially to register the name of any new street or the address of any new property through Cornwall Council’s Street Naming and Numbering process. You are required to submit an application form, plan and appropriate fee all details of which can be found on our website at http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/streetnaming. Developers are advised to contact Street Naming and Numbering at the earliest opportunity for street naming as the process involves consultation with the local Parish, Town or City Council and can take several months to complete.

Then its the post office to get on the maps for the post code.

I paid the council £85 before the build as per instructions so the VAT receipts and deliveries went to the build plot. The council do tell various others such as voting register and council tax, TV licence but in Cornwall they don't tell post office and that's what you need for the maps especially the blue light services.

You do not need to tell land registry though which is what your BC said.  There are thousands of unregistered properties in the UK they often do not get registered until they are first sold.

It appears the fee for the council varies a lot so maybe some councils tell the post office.

Also in Scotland you need the building warrant approved before you can apply for the address. Some DNOs won’t provide an electricity supply unless you have a proper address apparently. SSEN were happy that it was literally just a field with full planning approval but no warrant.