klargester biodisk installation

Amateur bob

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

ok thanks what put you off the vortex?

don't remember! can't remember why I chose the Graf over other potential shallow dig type tanks sorry.

ultimately they all do the same thing and folk on here have had good experiences with lots of different makes so go with the majority of good votes or your gut!

• Like 1

The reason I ultimately went with the Graf is because the guy that did our groundswork has installed every type available up here in Perthshire. When he built his own house he went with the Graf. He liked the ease of install and he hadn’t heard of any of the number he’s installed ever have a problem. I also like the simple design and the easy access remote blower. All the blower type are relatively simple things though. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kelvin said:

The reason I ultimately went with the Graf is because the guy that did our groundswork has installed every type available up here in Perthshire. When he built his own house he went with the Graf. He liked the ease of install and he hadn’t heard of any of the number he’s installed ever have a problem. I also like the simple design and the easy access remote blower. All the blower type are relatively simple things though. 

what sort of price range are they for a 5 bed, 7ppl one?

quote i got from klargester was £4285, not cheap

26 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

what sort of price range are they for a 5 bed, 7ppl one?

quote i got from klargester was £4285, not cheap

I paid £2047 ex VAT for a 7 PE Graf including the remote blower and delivery. But it was supplied as part of my groundworks so had a slight discount. 

Filpumps also quoted a good price discounted as part of my potable water supply and treatment. I never went with them for the treatment plant though. I’d be happy to recommend them as they did a neat install of my water treatment. I can pass on my contact if you want. 

Edited by Kelvin

47 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I paid £2047 ex VAT for a 7 PE Graf including the remote blower and delivery. But it was supplied as part of my groundworks so had a slight discount. 

Filpumps also quoted a good price discounted as part of my potable water supply and treatment. I never went with them for the treatment plant though. I’d be happy to recommend them as they did a neat install of my water treatment. I can pass on my contact if you want. 

Similar price to me iirc. Got mine direct from Graf UK. Just checked was £2300+vat for a 9 PE

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

thats a good price it seems like this klargester is near double the price of the other makes i wonder why its so common? ah really what area do they cover can i ask why you needed water treatment isthat because its from a borehole? thanks, yeah that would be handy if they cover my area too

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Looks like the vortex is about £2400 and rhe Marsh £1800. Plus vat.

vortex has built in sampling chamber apparently.

It's all easy to find online.

thanks for the info, is marsh just as highly rated? i like a bargain

5 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

marsh just as highly rated

I've used them 3 times over about 10 years. Very happy with technical advice (a real person)  and the product. UK made, fibreglass.

What else do I like? Options for depth to keep the hole shallow.

Easy delivery.

Bought through your BM so iz on account.

Not overcomplicated.. 3 Chambers in a line

Mucky in, almost clean out and that will still clean the water and flow in a power cut.

I've no experience of the others, so have nothing against them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

thats a good price it seems like this klargester is near double the price of the other makes i wonder why its so common? ah really what area do they cover can i ask why you needed water treatment isthat because its from a borehole? thanks, yeah that would be handy if they cover my area too

It’s a Kingspan product who are really big in the building industry so have a bigger marketing budget etc. As said earlier Klargester is a bit like saying Hoover as a generic term for a vacuum cleaner. 

44 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

check specs carefully- some brands need a costed upgrade to carry out Phosphorus reduction I think, and this is a fairly recent thing.

yes this is ver important as it needs to achieve 2mg P/l Daily discharge of Phosphorus in terms of emissions, i had a look on marsh website all it says is it can discharge safely into a ditch, no detailed info

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

upgrade to carry out Phosphorus reduction I think, and this is a fairly recent thing.

I'm not aware this is a requirement. Perhaps is best practice if discharging to a water course as it increases algae. Do you have a source for this info?

OK from a very quick study. Phosphorous (P) is a problem in rivers and ponds.

Package treatment plants reduce P whereas septic tanks don't.

The concentration is less important than the amount and timescale. 

So big plants eg on a housing estate, may need additional treatment.

If going to soakaway it is less of an issue.

Local authorities in sensitive areas may require  additional treatment to reduce P esp on big developments 

It's an extra tank  with chrmical treatment, at a few £k whoever  supplier.

For a single domestic PTP to soakaway it doesn't seem to be  a worry for us.

Edited by saveasteading

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

OK from a very quick study. Phosphorous (P) is a problem in rivers and ponds.

Package treatment plants reduce P whereas septic tanks don't.

The concentration is less important than the amount and timescale. 

So big plants eg on a housing estate, may need additional treatment.

If going to soakaway it is less of an issue.

Local authorities in sensitive areas may require  additional treatment to reduce P esp on big developments 

It's an extra tank  with chrmical treatment, at a few £k whoever  supplier.

For a single domestic PTP to soakaway it doesn't seem to be  a worry for us.

yes i am near a loch so im having to not only put in a treatment plant on my new build but also upgrade another property in the catchment areas old septic tank to a treatment plant so the combination of the new build and the existing property in the area comes to a fair bit less than the old septic tank was

so where a septic tank emitted 10mg/l of phosphate per person daily i need a treatment plant that gets that down to 2mg/l

That's good policy though. Lochs are very low on nutrient so that would really mess things up.

If the P tank is £3k then are you going to pump the septic contents to the new, PTP and a single P tank?

The next size of PTP isn't usually much more.

16 hours ago, saveasteading said:

That's good policy though. Lochs are very low on nutrient so that would really mess things up.

If the P tank is £3k then are you going to pump the septic contents to the new, PTP and a single P tank?

The next size of PTP isn't usually much more.

the old septic tank will need to come out altogether and a biodisc with phosphate stripping is to be put in place and also the same at the new build so 2 tanks needed which is why im keen on a cheaper make than klargester if possible

Can the output of both tanks be piped to a single P treatment installation?

I'm wondering if the planners have heard of the klargester phosphate removal equipment and assumed this was a digester too.

But no, from klargester or Marsh and perhaps the others , it is an extra thing.