What a screw up

It looks like the metal roofers wanted to save a few quid on screws when installing my very expensive metal roof.

Am I right to be a bit naffed off?

screws-01.thumb.jpg.0f7c928afef7f1d7d901eae32639c03f.jpg

screws-02.thumb.jpg.a2c72fe7d9a5397db9fcd1b634884956.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

Is that to hold the capping on?

Is it an approved (by manufacturer) fixing method?

What metal is the roof.

I'd not be happy with visible fixings, or holes drilled through the coated panel, or rusting hardware. 

7 minutes ago, IanR said:

Is that to hold the capping on?

The ridge vent, yes.

8 minutes ago, IanR said:

What metal is the roof.

Aluminium.  Prefa.

17 minutes ago, IanR said:

Is it an approved (by manufacturer) fixing method?

I don't think so.  https://uk.prefa.com/fileadmin/user_upload/_EN/Downloads/Technische_Zeichnungen/Details_Roof_PREFALZ_PREFA.pdf

I'm pretty sure its not like this...

image.thumb.png.d4a664da5d138700d7452e3eba8471ff.png

18 minutes ago, IanR said:

I'd not be happy with visible fixings, or holes drilled through the coated panel, or rusting hardware.

Me neither.  In fairness, it's hard to see the fixings unless on the roof but I can see the rusty screws from the scaffold easy enough because of the colour difference.

11 minutes ago, nod said:

Should be stainless fixings 

That will annoy the he’ll out of you 

It annoys the hell out of me already.  And all to save a tenner on screws.

Its so obvious that screws here should be stainless that you shouldn't have to check.  Which is difficult anyway.  How do you know for sure if a screw is stainless before it starts rusting?

So I found the ridge construction and its the G3 standard ridge construction for zinc roofs.  Which I'm ok with.  In theory.

Looking at the G3 roof installation, I recognise this as exactly how our roof was installed.

The G3 ridge detail is described very nicely here https://www.nealroofing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ridge-Installation.pdf

image.thumb.png.deb832c31f4c75d4ddfab6c871657131.png

This is the bit I like best at square 7.  Stainless Steel screws Must be used.  I think our metal roofer will be replacing the screws soon.  That'll learn him to try and save a few quid.

image.thumb.png.8a3d7c46c650cf0c77b056924e715257.png

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

This is the bit I like best.... square 7 in the directions in the link above.  Stainless Steel screws Must be used.  I think our metal roofer will be replacing the screws soon.

It is an Approved method, although you need to confirm it's OK for Aluminium. I thought Stainless and Aluminium touching was to be avoided due to galvanic corrosion.

Mine is clinched on to hidden clipping brackets.

27 minutes ago, IanR said:

It is an Approved method, although you need to confirm it's OK for Aluminium. I thought Stainless and Aluminium touching was to be avoided due to galvanic corrosion.

Mine is clinched on to hidden clipping brackets.

You're quite right about the galvanic corrosion.  What are the options here then if not stainless steel screws?  Aluminium screws look like the only choice. 

At least it will be easy to check with a magnet if the right screws are being used 😆

I have a bad feeling that standard VMZ stainless steel clips may have been used to fix the aluminium panels.  There are some spares kicking around on site to check.  Interestingly enough, however, the prefa site lists stainless steel fixings for the aluminium panels. I'll email Prefa for some guidance.

Edited by Mr Blobby

You can’t see a single fixing on mine as it’s all hidden. 

You already have several rusty screws that will stain the roof below them so they must be the wrong type of fixings. That gap in the ridge would also annoy me. 

You can generally use steel fixings to fix large bits of aluminium as you see it in the car industry. However there will often be something between the fixing and the aluminium plus a substance like Duralac. 

12 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

You already have several rusty screws that will stain the roof below them so they must be the wrong type of fixings. That gap in the ridge would also annoy me. 

Agreed, definetely the wrong screws.  Yes the gap in the ridge annoys me too.  Totally avoidable had they tried to do it properly.

Edited by Mr Blobby

As well as being stainless, I'd think they should be self-tapping with a fairly large diameter or chunky thread. I'm surprised the manufacturer doesn't specify it.

Also, check the centres these clips should be at. This detail is very vulnerable to wind and I'd expect fixings at 300cc or so if you don't want it to disappear some windy night.

40 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

You're quite right about the galvanic corrosion

I'm assuming that the clips are steel, for strength, and the screw tightens steel to steel. The steel screw to aluminium ridge contact will be miniscule  but without a washer it might get wet.

A tiny washer would be ideal. A squidge of silicon would help but not long term.

25 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

As well as being stainless, I'd think they should be self-tapping with a fairly large diameter or chunky thread. I'm surprised the manufacturer doesn't specify it.

Also, check the centres these clips should be at. This detail is very vulnerable to wind and I'd expect fixings at 300cc or so if you don't want it to disappear some windy night.

On the VMzinc directions (that appear to be the way my aluminium roof was installed) there are screw details that mean nothing to me...

image.thumb.png.d432355de52209228e9de646e28a29ee.png

26 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

If they're cutting corners, try to check if the compression strip is installed. Just push a tape or pencil  up the gap.

Im pretty sure the black foam stuff is there, I saw it on site and we poked some conduit through it for the PV cable.  I haven't checked the whole roof of course.  I don't like heights.

I'm glad my scaffolding is still up 🤪

41 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

What’s going on here? 

IMG_1258.jpeg.22be8fb9c19dbdcbbec533d666405370.jpeg

Damn, they could gave pushed that peice in to close that annoying gap 🤪

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

It annoys the hell out of me already.  And all to save a tenner on screws.

Its so obvious that screws here should be stainless that you shouldn't have to check.  Which is difficult anyway.  How do you know for sure if a screw is stainless before it starts rusting?

Cost 

Looks very similar to Tata Colorcoat Urban roof I installed myself.

The ridge was fixed with the supplied colour coded rivetts at regular intervals and connector piece also had sealant applied when the ridges butted up flush.

Those clips look awful and the gap in the ridge is not acceptable.

If you buy a cheap ridge kit They always come with stainless screws and most of the time the screws of covered with a cap or another ridge 

I can only imagine what you have paid 

Get them back to sort it out