Oiling doors - before or after fitting

Thorfun

we have oak internal doors (not solid oak coz that'd be crazy money!) and the lovely other half is planning on oiling them with Danish Oil. 

is it best to do this before they get hung? or can it be done after hanging sufficiently well enough?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

We did ours after hanging.  We used Osmo door oil.

Great to know it can be done after hanging. Did you have any issues? Do you think it would’ve been easier before hanging? Would you do it the same if doing it again?

I did ours with osmo polyx oil after hanging.  It's a bit of a faff working around hinges, but you can do both sides in one hit and don't have find space/time to lay them out/turn over for each coat.  Very happy with the finish (rub down with a fine sanding sponge before and after coats), and no signs of any problem due to not treating the bits under the hinges or under the bottom of the door. I'd do the same again definitely.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Temp said:

Our crew hung the doors then took them down to oil them on trestles.

The reason we didn't do that is 2 coats of Osmo oil each side a day apart and 2 days to dry before you can turn the door over to do the other side = a week per door.  You either need a lot of space and a lot of tressles (which we didn't have) or a lot of time to do them sequentially.

Obviously painting them flat means no chance of drips.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The reason we didn't do that is 2 coats of Osmo oil each side a day apart and 2 days to dry before you can turn the door over to do the other side = a week per door.  You either need a lot of space and a lot of tressles (which we didn't have) or a lot of time to do them sequentially.

Obviously painting them flat means no chance of drips.

This was my concern exactly. The time, space and potential drip issue. But if you and @Roundtuit managed it well after hanging then that is definitely something to consider. 

We bought pretreated, one our better decisions.  Still have to oil some of the edges where chippy had to plane, but we have waited 3 years so they can wait some more time.

I’ve just osmo oil my oak doors, one coat before fitting to protect the grain from picking up dust, and a second coat once fitted. 
absolutely no chance of drips if you apply lightly as it says on the tin, and then use a lint free cloth to rub it in and spread evenly. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I’ve just osmo oil my oak doors, one coat before fitting to protect the grain from picking up dust

i like this idea. will run it by SWMBO as she'll be the one doing the oiling!