Recommendations for a weatherproof (cement) cladding board

markharro

I fitted STS constructions boards as a substrate for our renderer and am familiar with them. The are not suitable to be used externally without a finish.

I now need to source something similar to clad the EPS plinth of the house. The plan is to find a board that can be stuck on and left without the need for any finish be that render or paint etc. Can anyone recommend a suitable product? thanks

I can recommend James hardie boards, however you will struggle to stick anything onto the eps. 

Unless you have found some miraculous sticky thing, 

I rendered my plinth with a waterproof render finished with a marble/ silicon top coat. 

Finished in a dark grey so it looks like a traditional renderered plinth. 

21 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

you will struggle to stick anything onto the eps. 

I'm rather amazed that the manufacturers haven't found a standard solution for this, as it is a common question, and would concern me.

If there was one, they would supply it or even apply it at the factory.

I'd be concerned about any (even a few mm) eps being exposed to air or earth too, as rodents and insects could burrow a cosy home.

Perhaps  find a screw/ rivet type fixing that can expand deep in the eps to form a grip?

1 hour ago, nod said:

If you apply a 5 mil coat of silicone base coat 

You can stick cement board directly to it with a flexi tile adhesive 

I have done exactly this. 

But ive found a problem with expansion/ contraction, if I used a length of cement board longer than 2m they crack as the weather changes. 

Thanks everyone - here is the adhesive I am planning to use - you will see in the small print at the back that it explicitly says that you can use it with polystyrene!

In the comment about the Hardie boards - do you mean the backer boards that are normally used internally as tile backer boards?

fix all reverse.jpg

fix all.jpg

9 minutes ago, markharro said:

Thanks everyone - here is the adhesive I am planning to use - you will see in the small print at the back that it explicitly says that you can use it with polystyrene!

In the comment about the Hardie boards - do you mean the backer boards that are normally used internally as tile backer boards?

fix all reverse.jpg

fix all.jpg

I suggest you do some testing. 

It sticks eps to eps but try sticking the cement board to the eps, been there tried that. 

The only method I found has been mentioned, a coat of render then tile adhesive, or just render it. 

James hardie make a board for exterior use it comes in various sizes and colours. 

On 28/01/2024 at 11:09, Russell griffiths said:

I can recommend James hardie boards, however you will struggle to stick anything onto the eps. 

Unless you have found some miraculous sticky thing, 

I rendered my plinth with a waterproof render finished with a marble/ silicon top coat. 

Finished in a dark grey so it looks like a traditional renderered plinth. 

James hardie say you must have an air gap behind the boards, so sticking them might not be an option anyway