Regulations for landing balustrade (banister)

Other than height (900mm I think) I can't find any particular guidance on balustrades. It feels like there should be some maximum distance that a balustrade can be before it needs an intermediate newel post, but I can't find a regulation for that. Stairbox suggests 3000mm. Has anyone found a regulation that applies or has any guidance beyond what Stairbox say?

image.png.1b090c2b8bfb480a82d385a172cbe853.png

image.png.ce7c418d0bd408e90a6fcf1c059ecd1d.png

i'm not sure on the regulations but i believe the balustrade needs to resist a certain force and have certification that it does so. maybe Stairbox won't give that certificate if you don't have the extra newel post? 🤷‍♂️

Domestic & Residential (Single Family Home), Internal Stairs/Landings Etc. In this case, the handrail must be able to withstand a pressure of 0.36kN/m. However, for external balconies and in light office areas that are not prone to overcrowding, this requirement is doubled to 0.74kN/m.

28 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Interesting, so adding that to the Stairbox 3000mm figure suggests each newel has to be able to take 1.08kN.

Really? I would have thought any point along the balustrade must resist 0.36kN/m so the handrail must resist this (snapping) and midpoint that load would be shared, so 0.18kN/m each,  but incrementally raised to 0.36 as you get to each end Newel post. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by joe90

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Really? I would have thought any point along the balustrade must resist 0.36kN/m so the handrail must resist this (snapping) and midpoint that load would be shared, so 0.18kN/m each,  but incrementally raised to 0.36 as you get to each end Newel post. 🤷‍♂️

I read the extra post if >3M as suggesting if you don't then the balustrade rail might snap if you apply a .36kN/m load at mid point without the extra post.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I read the extra post if >3M as suggesting if you don't then the balustrade rail might snap if you apply a .36kN/m load at mid point without the extra post.

Point taken but it’s still 0.36 not 1.08 ( >3m long timber handrail is too long IMO)

I guess stair suppliers/manufacturers test theirs to make sure they conform. It would be difficult to DIY and prove conformity (glad I bought a kit 🤷‍♂️)

What's the normal method of attachment between the intermediate post and the two sections of handrail? I'm familiar with the approach at a post that only takes a single handrail section where you can drill through the post and screw into the handrail end, but that wouldn't work with two inline sections of handrail.

26 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

What's the normal method of attachment between the intermediate post and the two sections of handrail? I'm familiar with the approach at a post that only takes a single handrail section where you can drill through the post and screw into the handrail end, but that wouldn't work with two inline sections of handrail.

L shaped bracket, screwed to the newel post, handrail sits down onto it and you screw into the bottom of the handrail through the bracket. You will need to rebate the end of the handrail to accommodate the thickness of the bracket.

I would do that anyway, I would not want a screw head through the newel post to plug or otherwise hide.

• Thanks 1

Ah. I’m about to run into this problem. We will have a glass balustrade at the top of the stairs. The stairs and glass supply have made locally and I really doubt he will have any calculations. I’ve not asked him yet though. If that’s so presumably I’d need an SE to calculate the loads? 

I would simply ask them for the calcs as they must supply something that is “fit for purpose”. When I bought my stair kit I never asked about calcs and presumed (perhaps naively) they would have done that, however building control did not ask for them.